Saturday, September 27, 2014

Concert Review: FRNKIERO ANDTHE CELLABRATION






It was a really good show.

I was worried that I would miss something, coming off from work, but just as I got onto the floor level I heard screams, and I could tell they had just come onto the stage. (A lot of the 7:00 bands don't get a lot of respect, but not this time.)

The band started playing with an extended instrumental sequence that was full of unity and intensity. That was probably the most amazing thing to me throughout the show - the level of unity felt with the band. Iero wrote the album himself, and did all of the performing on Stomachaches except for some drum tracks performed by Jarrod Alexander (currently touring with Gerard Way and the Hormones).

You cannot tell this by watching them. Everyone takes ownership and plays their heart out. Some of this may be due to Iero's performance style. I am tempted to call it low-key, but that's not accurate. It is intense, but other than the occasional water fountain it is not really showy. Usually when he thrashes it is facing the drummer, away from the audience. There is no preening or flirting with the audience, which a lot of lead singers do and it works for them, but here the focus is just on making the songs live.

Previous relationships also probably do not hurt. Bassist Rob Hughes and Iero have played together in LeATHERMOUTH, and in addition to Iero doing some production work for guitarist Evan Nestor's band Science, they are brothers-in-law. I can't find any information that drummer Matt Olsson has worked with any of them previously, but there are geographical ties and they have all brought their own amounts of skill and experience, and together it works. It is not a flashy show, but it doesn't need to be.

(And maybe it's better not to be - I could barely see one of the other acts due to all of their back-lighting.)

One thing I like about live performances is the chance to get a different perspective. Listening to Matt Olsson's own music, it is pretty mellow, so seeing him here just pounding on those drums showed a completely different side.

Rob Hughes has incredible stage presence. At first I thought it was helped by his height, but once he was off the stage he did not seem as tall - still lanky, but up there he was a giant! I think it's just that when he is performing he fills the space.

(Evan Nestor was the one performer I did not have a good view of, and technically while I could see Frank I rarely saw Frank's face, because I was on the side where his hair hangs down.)

I just want to say a little about Stomachaches itself. Two tracks have already been released: "Weighted" and "Joyriding". I can't decide which I like better. I like the grooves in "Weighted", but the way "Joyriding" builds and comes together is really cool. There's great energy on "Blood Infections", and then a switch to yearning and hope on "The Prettiest Girl" which is romantic, but it is about more than that. The track that keeps catching me off guard and making me pay attention is "Tragician".

The album overall reminds me of '90s punk, when you were starting to get the grunge influence, but my head keeps going back to 1994 lately, so that could just be me. It is frustrated and heartfelt, and it pulls triumphant sounds from the angst. There are occasionally some industrial sounds - I thought I heard a jackhammer at one point - and even a little techno on the intro to "Smoke Rings".

Overall Stomachaches provides great variety, depth, and music. It is as it should be.

I am not aware of sites or accounts specifically for this band as a unit, which makes sense, so the links below are primarily for Frank Iero, and then one link each that relates to the other members, some of whom probably could have a larger web presence if they wanted to.








No comments: