Friday, May 23, 2008

In recovery – 330

I am starting to feel a bit better. I am able to breathe through my nose again, anyway, so that is nice.

It is amazing to me how debilitating a bad cold/sinus infection can be. I just feel so lazy, and yet lazy is not exactly the right word. I have things I want to do, and I feel a strong need to get them done, but the strongly overriding urge is to just lay still with my eyes closed until the headache goes away, pretty much lending itself to sleep. Almost any food that crosses my mind sounds delicious, but half of my meals have been cold cereal because it is the least effort. When I had soup, the Italian vegetable sounded better, but I chose the chicken noodle because it had a pop-top and I could not bear the thought of having to get out and use the can opener.

This is bad because I have just come back from two weeks vacation and I had a lot of work to do, and did not get much done at all. Monday I was pretty productive, and Tuesday was starting to go downhill, but was not horrible. Wednesday it was strongly suggested that I go home and take care of this. I suppose it was the horrible sound effects, but I do work with a pregnant woman and with a woman who, if she contracts anything, will have it turn into pneumonia. I was probably already well past the contagious stage, but going home sounded good. I should have held out though, because Thursday I had a (preexisting) doctor’s appointment in the middle of the day, and it wasn’t worth going in at all. Today I went back, and got some things done, but not everything I had hoped for.
Now I have a three-day weekend to recover, which is good, but getting everything caught up in four days will be a challenge.

I should just be grateful that I don’t get sick more often, especially with my compromised immune system. I don’t remember the last time I had a cold, but I probably hated it as much then.

The funny thing is, I do better with a more serious illness. Like when I had the 104-degree fever, I was typing like lightning. I enter this sort of dream-state, where anything seems possible, like maybe if I go up one more degree, I will start to move things with my mind. Sure, I know there is some hallucination built in, but I am still very productive. So serious diseases have a certain glamour to them, and are great motivators, but it is hard to be heroic with a head cold.

On a related note, I took in doughnuts Tuesday to make up for being gone and because I had a coupon. Jill was knocking on me for that (as an evil pastry temptress) and for the illness, referencing ebola. Well let me just say, if I was spreading ebola, it would totally cancel out the doughnuts.

No comments: