Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Other Holidays

I don't know that anything that is left is quite as interesting. For New Year's we had a friend visiting, and it was a ridiculously loaded day. We went to the Forestry Center to see the Polar Bear photography exhibit (very last day, but we could not get there sooner), then Julie, Maria, and Lilliana went to go see a movie (Morning Glory, I think), and then Lilly and I went to the Pink Martini show.

Valentine's Day was largely dominated by my getting over food poisoning and missing the Fanconi Anemia walk. I wasn't really focused on being perpetually single, because I had already gone over that. I did try and thing of things to do to for others or with others, but again, that food poisoning thing really drained me. Well, draining sounds gradual, and it was pretty sudden, but there was no extra mental energy to be had.

Saint Patrick's Day was focused on the Shamrock Stride, and that I did make that. Our team captain also had brought green leis, so I had something green to wear on the day itself. My wardrobe is pretty green deficient. It's not intentional, but I haven't worked really had to correct it either. People feel less free to pinch you in the workplace than at school, so it's less of an issue.

For Easter we went to visit Lilliana, so I guess we have a holiday thing going on. I made Easter dinner at home the next week, so it was late, but I still did a great job. That sounds braggy. It was really the cake. I got a chocolate rabbit, some jelly beans, and coconut to decorate it, and I knew my sisters would like it, but they were skeptical, but then I was vindicated. I do sometimes get ideas where the execution does not go well, so I understand the skepticism, but I knew this one would work and I was right.

The interesting thing about Mother's Day was that the night before someone asked about it, and I totally forgot that it was Mother's Day, and yet we had already got Mom gifts, and dinner had been planned with her in mind, so it totally worked, and I guess I just realized how unstressful our holidays have become. We do special things for them, and we decorate, but it's mostly hassle-free, and I like that.

Father's Day is a little tougher. It makes me grumpy seeing all of these posts and profile picture changes and church talks and all these reminders of what fathers can be, and often are, and then I feel grumpy for being grumpy. No one should refrain from celebrating just because I have issues with my father, and regardless of his faults, he certainly could have been worse. I like it being over. I may have to find a better way of dealing with it.

For Independence Day, we took Mom to Fuddrucker's for lunch, then went to see Midnight in Paris, and it was a good day. It was pretty low-key, and again, I am totally fine with that, though I was more aware of the damage caused by illegal fireworks, and upset by it. I think I am going to make it my mission to try and get Aviary a lot of business when they reopen after repairs. They were a new restaurant that was doing fairly well, and then a stray bottle rocket has shut them down for a month. The first year for any restaurant is really crucial, and it just angers me that someone's stupidity and carelessness could sink someone else's dream. So, knowing nothing about them or their food, I will be trying to get people to go there. Not logical, perhaps, but very me.

I'm hoping for an uneventful Labor Day, and we probably will celebrate Sundae Sunday this Sunday. We did last year and we still have chocolate syrup left over, and we do have ice cream, so might as well.

Alma 21 - 26
13032 steps

2 comments:

vaxhacker said...

But what about Bastille Day? That's pretty exciting. Beats Arbor Day anyway.

sporktastic said...

I ended up celebrating Bastille Day by singing La Marseillaise, which I still mostly remember from 9th grade French. There are two lines I have to hum.