Friday, March 14, 2014

Band Review: Scarling.


I found Scarling. via Jessicka Addams, whom I initially knew of more for non-musical art, though I had learned pretty early on that she had been in another band. I initially thought Scarling. was a new project, but they originally became active in the early 2000's, and are now coming back.

Their Facebook page lists a view different genres, but Wikipedia called it noise pop, which was new to me. (I can see the influence on shoegaze.)

Anyway, the way noise pop works is that not strictly musical sounds are combined. This could be something as simple as distorting the guitars, but there could also be elements of white noise or the ring of a telephone or power tools in the background. What I have found interesting with that is that it feels like it creates a distance. A filter is added. You do hear the melody. The normal musical elements are there, but there is something else too, and it changes how you experience the song.

Some of the songs feel more immediate - "Band Aid Covers The Bullet Hole" and "Baby Dracula" had rhythms that stuck out for me - but I felt a certain amount of detachment that made it more intellectual. On that level, having a song about Crispin Glover, or having twists on familiar phrases like "Alexander The Burn Victim" feels exactly as it should be.

That being said, I hear more life in the new songs. Maybe some of that is just a new energy at coming back. There is still that filter in place, but maybe it is thinner.

I did most of my listening via Spotify, which has two profiles. Both profiles have the two albums, Sweet Heart Dealer and So Long Scarecrow. However, one does not have the new songs, and one does not have the single releases, therefore does not have the B-sides.

At this point I only see the new songs on iTunes, thought the older material is available in a variety of places.



No comments: