Friday, May 15, 2015

Band Review: Palaye Royale


Once a band follows me and ends up on the review list it generally takes about six months to get to their review, but I am following them and seeing updates during that time. Palaye Royale has really stood out during the wait. They have been active, and building a strong base of loyal fans, based largely on their being accessible to fans and caring.

With roots in Las Vegas and Toronto, Palaye Royale self-describes as a Fashion-Art Rock Band. In this case, that seems to mean primarily that the visual components, including clothes, are important. Many art rock bands are notable for their focus on the atonal (and a-melodic). Other than an odd transition in "Die for Something Beautiful", that is not the case here.

I can't think of any bands where I can make a good sound comparison. In some ways there is an alt-rock vibe, but with strong elements of funk and excellent use of piano. Many of the songs are really beautiful.

(I suspect that fans of Black Veil Brides and Farewell My Love might enjoy Palaye Royale.)

The band is unsigned and relishing it, having released two singles and a six-track EP, as well as being featured in a Samsung commercial. Current touring should strengthen ties with fans and add more. The band should be able to do very well.

I really only have one criticism to make. I wouldn't even know about it if I hadn't watched the videos, a few of which feature Native American headdress. It isn't even a major part of the videos, which could be a couple of years old (most of their songs are from 2013), but there is growing awareness about that issue, and it's something to think about. Rock is better used for sticking it to the man than disrespecting minorities, regardless of whether or not there is malicious intent, especially in the service of a fashion statement. That's all I have to say about that.

Otherwise, this is a good band, and worth checking out.




No comments: