Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Enforced stillness


Once a year I go to the ophthalmologist for a diabetic eye exam. For her to see what she needs to see, she dilates my pupils.

There is some physical discomfort with the drops, but the real issue is that lights seem too bright and I can't focus that well.

The worse problem with this ever was that I once got on the wrong bus. Peering at the sign told me that it was the 20, which is what I needed, but what I had not realized was that at that stop (St. Vincent's) the bus does a loop, so both the Eastbound and Westbound bus come by the same stop. I suddenly found myself heading into Portland and had to get off and cross a busy street while my vision was impaired. Now I am careful to check for the destination.

The worst of it doesn't last for very long, but print stays hard for a bit longer after that. I am typing now, and I can read it, but it's still not quite in focus and I want to close my eyes some more.

As most of what I do for work and play involves books or print on the computer, this has an impact. My next most favorite thing to do is going for a walk outside, and it seems a little bright out there.

That turns today into kind of a rest day. I lay down for a while. I put on some music and listen to it only, without also reading or typing. I close my eyes and bury my face in cat's fur.

It's really not for that long, and breaks can be good.

No comments: