Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Fear of falling

I thought I might write about Reparations Happy Hour, because that was causing some irritation too. As I was hearing it in my head, though, it sounded an awful lot like a post that will probably hit in about three weeks, and maybe it's better to wait on that.

It would still have been leading to the point that I notice this irritation that happens with various news items that seem like they shouldn't be taken personally. An actor apologized for his part in allowing abuse of one of his costars by another costar. Some white people voluntarily paid for some drinks for Black people as part of acknowledging our country's history. If those things do not affect you, why do they bother you?

I had a thought, but I am going to provide a plausible alternative first.

Due to a family member I am hearing a lot of talk radio now - mainly Limbaugh and Larsen.

I guess in one way it is good, because in the past when some people would say things that seemed so disconnected from reality, I found it confusing, and now I get it, but this is not just about the lying.

It seems that they (especially Rush) spend most of their time talking about how bad, stupid, and insincere liberals are. When I first noticed that I thought it might be a reflection on conservatives not having a lot to say about themselves, but that attention has shifted to the cumulative impact it might have. The constant trash talking could easily turn "liberal" and all associated concepts into irritants, so maybe it's that.

I may spend more time on that in a later post, but for now I am just going to mention that even though being told everyone else is stupid and bad except you and the host you are listening too might seem like it would be affirming, it does not seem to improve mood (or social skills).

My thought, though, was that maybe there was this fear of the slippery slope. Usually only invoked on the topic of gun control, it might feel that once you accept one liberal belief that more of them will cumulatively pull you down and you will have to give up a lot of things that are cherished and feel important.

I also think that's entirely possible. There are some really shaky beliefs out there, and if you want to be a good person, especially on a religious level, there is a conflict. I don't want to be unsympathetic to that. Also, I recently realized that I had lost some things, and had to look at what I had gained instead, and what I still had, and have decided that I am ultimately better for it. That's going up on the Sunday blog though.

So all I can really say is be brave. The demonization might make it seem like any giving in will mean terrible corruption, but I offer you my assurance that is not true.

You may also find yourself more sensitive, and more vulnerable. I get the downside of that. Be brave anyway. It may also open you up to more joy.

I know it feels easier to be pugnacious. I have been there. I am going to try and write about that Monday.

No comments: