Friday, November 30, 2018

Band Review: Supaman

Last year I finally finished reviewing every rapper mentioned in the Tom Barnes Mic article, I thought. Then I realized that in addition to the eight featured songs and rappers, there was also a passing reference to Crow rapper Supaman. The article focused on newer, lesser known artists (at least for 2015) but what about the established rapper, who had been releasing albums since 2005?

This week I have been listening to Supaman.

I have to add that there is a level on whichI am not even capable of evaluating him. In addition to some traditional rap albums, there are several collections of tools and loops that I have no idea how you would use. He seems to be fairly prolific for that, but I have no basis for comparison. That's perhaps one thing about seeking out different artists. You learn a lot, but also there are things you just don't know.

Some things you can do. For example, I did not listen to any Rezawrecktion, the group he worked with early on. That could be a future review, but this review focuses on his solo work, which is pretty good hip-hop.

(I am also pretty sure I will add Maimouna Youssef, with whom Supaman recently collaborated, to the review list.)

My first time through, his 2013 release Gorilla resonated with me more, especially the parts about identity and Superman; it felt like a window into him.

However, on further listening I have to say that 2018's Illuminatives is a stronger record.

I believe that fits in with a pre-existing trajectory of continuous improvement, but with longer gaps between the two most recent albums, it becomes more obvious. Supaman continues to grow as an artist. I do not doubt that Standing Rock is a part of that - I have yet to see a native artist who has not been affected - but I suspect Supaman has been actively working on growth for a long time.

That's reason enough to check him out.

https://supamanhiphop.com

https://www.facebook.com/Supamanhiphop/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3FcmL4OXk9Dp2QtAitFEg

https://twitter.com/Supamanhiphop

No comments: