Thursday, December 05, 2019

Album Review: Prima Donna by Prima Donna

Fun fact: one of my 2019 accomplishments was learning that S/T means "self-titled". However, in reviews it is apparently appropriate to use the band's name as the album name. So...

I really liked Prima Donna by Prima Donna! (2018).

It starts strong and rocking with "4 Real", and that predisposes one to liking the rest of the album, but the other tracks do stand on their own. It makes such good use of the keyboards; we understand that role in pop, but it can do great things in rock.

"Press Your Luck" and "Automatic" - in addition to being fine on their own ("Automatic" has a bit of a Johnny Marr "The Tracers" vibe) - feel like they go really well with "4 Real", like the track order was contemplated and optimized.

There is some scorch on the guitar solo on "Year of the Rat", but also it goes to fun places vocally. "Recurring Nightmare" was just something I felt. "Sound the Alarm" takes a darker twinge, like a '60s crime show turned graphic novel, and you're just not sure what's going to happen.

I have listened way more than three times just to make sure I am getting everything. I am sure that I am still not getting everything, but I love that there is the content that you can dive into or just enjoy. I remember them striking me as smart and well-suited to each other when I first saw them in 2013. They have been through some things, but that hasn't changed.

Of course, I also remember that they always seemed pretty sexual. I had initially thought that was a little toned down this time, but after the most recent listen on "Love From Above", I am not sure that is true. I don't know; I was not specifically looking for it.

I'm just glad they're still around. With a new video released just three days ago, I think that will last.

If there's a new album coming, let's hope I get to that sooner.

http://primadonnarocks.com/

https://www.facebook.com/PrimaDonnaOfficial

https://www.youtube.com/user/PrimaDonnaVision

https://twitter.com/primadonnaband

No comments: