Tuesday, October 06, 2020

The mystery of the mutant sunflower

 It has been a bad day, and I am too angry to write well about a complex topic. I'll figure it out.

In order to write something at all, I am going to write about the mutant sunflower. It does fascinate me.

I did an internet search to see if anyone had similar issues. I found one entry on a UK gardening site from 2016.

One person suggested that there was probably damage at the stem, resulting in an errant bud. That would have had to have happened about twenty times. When I first saw all the extra buds I wasn't even sure they would be viable. Some waited longer, but they are still coming through.

I would be shocked if we get any seeds from this one.

Another suggestion was that a seed for a multi-branching breed got mixed into the seed packet. They said to look forward to being able to pick for bouquets.

That comment made sense, because looking at multi-branching varieties they do tend to have longer stems. They also don't tend to have that one big "normal" head surrounded by all the little ones. The big one is starting to lose the petals; is has been blooming longer and now it has all the little heads crowding it out, but it followed a normal growth trajectory.

No one came up with an answer that seemed to match.

I am guessing it is some kind of accidental hybrid. I have enjoyed watching it, and now even as all of the sunflowers are starting to droop, watching and waiting for seed formation is interesting. I don't care if birds take them all; I just want to watch it happen.

And it is really good to have a garden when you have days like today.

No comments: