Tuesday, June 13, 2023

7* Television shows to get to know me

I have written about a lot of these before. There are at least seven posts about Queen Sugar, and a whole slew about Jeopardy! from back when my episode aired and when they were having different hosts. So, if some of this seems familiar, well, these shows really are important to me.

The Electric Company (1971-1977)

I did watch Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and Sesame Street, and I appreciate them, but they (especially Mr. Rogers) moved a little slow. The approach of this shortest-lived one worked best for me. We had rock-like music with The Short Circuit, Spiderman, and a guy whose name and personality were both "Crank"... this was the show for me. I can't even tell you how many of the songs I can still sing.

The Muppet Show (1976 -1981)

Even though Jim Henson was more associated with Sesame Street, I could imagine him working well with The Electric Company, and a lot of my reaction to The Muppet Show is the same. One big difference is that at the time I had no idea how many of the songs were from Broadway musicals. It is again a source of vivid memories, and it holds up. If The Electric Company was teaching me phonics, maybe the Muppets were getting me ready for pop culture.

The A-Team (1983-1987)

In retrospect, they stretched plausibility pretty hard on this one, but it was still so fun. That was one of the worst things about the movie (which had a lot to choose from for "worst"); they drained all of the elements of fun away from Hannibal, who loved what he was doing, especially when a plan came together. 

I guess the best thing about the movie is that finally there was something worse than Season 5. 

I also must note, Dirk Benedict was even more charming as Face than as Starbuck.

Jeopardy! (1984 - present)

I started watching a lot of shows that I lost track of in between the start of me working and the invention of DVRs, but this is a show that I actually discovered at work, in the break room at K-Mart, 1989. That started my desire to be on the show, which it only took 22 years to realize. (I did miss many episodes before DVRs.) I miss Alex, and I really wish Mayim Bialik would never, ever host, but I still love the show.

Once Upon A Time (2011-2018)

Two fairy tale shows started around the same time, and I watched both of them. One of them took a turn to where I was almost hate-watching it at the end, and was relieved that it did end. The other took some interesting approaches, but I ultimately kept liking it, and liking that it believed in redemption, and in supporting each other. Enemies could be transformed. Some people hated that about it, but it worked for me.

Queen Sugar (2016-2022)

This show will always hold a special place in my heart.

At the start it was that there was grief and parental loss at the right time, and attempts to protect and take care of things (and avoid having any weaknesses) in some very different characters. That is still important, but as they went through and dealt with different issues -- again, treating each person as important -- it really spoke to my heart.

Emergency! (1972-1979)/ CHiPs (1977-1983)/ Barney Miller (1975-1982)*

This is where the "7" is questionable, but these kind of go together.

Most of those meaningful shows are things that I watched when they were originally airing. With these, well, I saw at least some episodes back then, but it has been rediscovering them decades later that has been a lot of fun. I thought about only mentioning Emergency!, because I have some feelings about copaganda now; my affection for old cop shows is a little embarrassing. Regardless, I have really enjoyed watching these shows years later. I have seen every episode of each of them. Only a few are really terrible.

I will have more to write about Barney Miller soon.

No comments: