Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Winnowing through

Last week I wrote about gaining understanding about the conflicts I had with my mother. 

One of the big ones was the neatness of my room. It was not dirty, but it was cluttered; there were always stacks of books and papers and drawings. Sometimes I wasn't done with them yet, and sometimes, maybe I only thought I was done. What if I needed them later?

When I was born, we were pretty poor, and it was a time of grief. I think I have had this scarcity mindset from before conscious memory. Maybe that's why there was always a worry about needing something and not having it.

It was not always strictly that concern. 

Sometimes it was wanting to cover everything. I started a pretty serious needlepoint phase in high school, possibly related to working at K-Mart and discovering so many needlepoint kits. I wanted to do them all. I did many, but I still have a lot left. Eventually I did not have the time to work on them anymore. 

(I was still doing at least some in college, so that took a while.)

There there was building my imagined future, so I had a hope chest. K-Mart was a big part of this too, because I could find great deals on things there, and put them in the chest that I also bought there. 

Many of those things eventually became gifts, and some ended up being used by me, but setting up this dream home after I got married never happened. Having some drinking glasses and towels and a few appliances wouldn't have made that much difference anyway.

The biggest source of clutter was probably the desire for information, which for me is pretty much insatiable.

I have an old hymnbook because it has "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" in it. I like the song and it is not in our current hymnbook. I wanted to remember the words.

I got that book in the early 90s. Now an internet search will quickly resolves the lyric question, though there's this middle verse coming up that I swear whoever posted it just made up.

When I was a teenager, knowing song lyrics required listening over and over again, unless they were on the liner notes, which did not happen enough. 

I have saved a lot of college textbooks. One of them is specifically a book on Roman history that briefly mentions the sister of one Roman emperor proposing to Attila the Hun to get out of an unwanted arranged marriage. Dramatic! There weren't many details, but I at least wanted to be able to remember her name.

Without remembering it on my own, if you type "emperor's sister Attila the Hun" into any decent search engine, you come up with Justa Grata Honoria.

I'm not saying that you always get great results with search engines, especially with lyrics (and especially with monetized search engine optimization), but there are options now that are amazing. 

I still want to keep the same kind of information that I always have, but it does not require an extensive personal library.

Yes, sometimes I return a book to the library, and then want to verify something that was in it. I may be able to find it online, or remember it well enough, or if needed I can check the book out again. 

There is a great calmness in that, and it allows me to downsize. I still care about not wasting, so I will try and find good places for everything, but that is a significant project for this phase of my life.

Of course, I  have to consider if that is secure enough. In some apocalyptic scenario, the internet could be wiped out. A house fire could wipe out the personal library.

In fact, I have lost incredible amounts of data before. 

That must be the next section.

No comments: