Tuesday, January 02, 2024

Throw it away

One thing about my desire to keep books went beyond that I might not remember something. I also would often read a book and think that I would need to read it again after reading other things. I was not sure that I had understood enough, because sometimes they would reference background knowledge that I did not have.

There are still a few books where that probably applies, but what I have found is that the new knowledge fills in and makes me understand those books better without re-reading them. 

My brain worked better than I knew it would; that was reassuring.

It probably works better that I read groups of books together now.

This is something that I really care about, and it relieves some pressure. That should all be really great. It does leave one problem.

I am painfully aware that memories can go.

It could happen to me.

My grandmother had it. An aunt had it. My mother has it.

I could catch up on my reading (not very likely) and have it start fading away (more likely than I would hope).

I can bear it.

It probably helps some seeing that my mother has been doing okay with this. There were less peaceful periods and not everyone has the same experience.

On one of my recent visits, a different woman was crying, she said because she was stupid. 

I hurt for her.

But somehow I find that my mother is still sweet and engaging. Sometimes as she goes through these things that never happened, it feels like she is working out things that she wished happened. 

I don't know. I don't want to make it sound too good, because it has been very hard, and some of those better outcomes required a lot of sacrifice. 

It does seem to have been easier on her than on her children. Still, I would rather not.

But I can bear whatever happens, including whatever loss happens. 

I can bear it because I have borne other losses and survived. 

I can bear it because of my faith that those memories and relationships will come back.

I can bear it because -- despite whatever hardships there have been -- I like myself and am essentially happy with myself.

I can bear it because all of the struggles have shown me things that I needed to know, and led me to this place.

I won't say that I am exactly where I need to be; that implies a level of precision that I can't confirm. It's been messy.

But essentially, ultimately, I am where I need to be and I have peace with that.

While I am trying harder to remember to connect with and cherish people, I can let go of things and worries and fears.

Throw it away
Throw it away
Give your love, live your life
Each and every day

And keep your hand wide open
Let the sun shine through
'Cause you can never lose a thing
If it belongs to you.

-- Abbey Lincoln

 

No comments: