Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Commemorating

I thought I would write some more about getting things out, but I think I need to finish at least one other book first. 

Instead I am going to write about one of the other things I am doing now: Celebrating National Days!

Both of my sisters are really into themes (as well as the whole family being pretty into holidays), and the teacher one tries to be aware of things that go along with the themes.

Therefore, it has been a pretty normal part of my life to hear that in two days it will be National Tater Tot Day, or something like that.

This year I decided to follow along and try and incorporate it more. 

I decided this before I quit, so it was not related to that. I suppose it is more fun now, but so is everything else.

Mainly, I try and incorporate it into meals, but in my own way.

For example, March 17th was not just Saint Patrick's Day, but also Corned Beef and Cabbage Day.

I love corned beef, but cooking does terrible things to cabbage (I don't care for it fermented either) so I always make it with carrots, and that is what I did again. I also made Sloppy Joes for March 18th, National Sloppy Joe Day. At that point we had too many leftovers to celebrate National Ravioli Day on March 20th, though I had nothing against that. 

Frankly, I had stew meat that I needed to use Sunday, so we are celebrating National Cheesesteak Day two days late, but I did get French Bread on the correct day, March 21st.

A lot of it does not make sense. Why is Peach Cobber Day on April 13th? Peaches are a summer fruit. I mean, if you have canned peaches that you set up the previous summer, maybe it can remind you to use them, but I don't know how many people still do that.

It is not all about food. There is a National Reconciliation Day coming up on April 2nd, and National Sorry Charlie Day on April 6th encourages us to view rejection from a different perspective. 

The first Wednesday in April is National Walking Day, though January 20th is Take a Walk Outdoors Day, so there is some repetition.

We "joke" that every day is Cat Day and Love Your Pet Day, at least in our house.

There are a lot that I just ignore, but I am at least aware of what's coming up. In fact, it was useful the other day that I knew that National Ferret Day was April 2nd, which I was not personally planning on celebrating.)

(I will celebrate National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day that same day, but I will celebrate it with jam.)

https://www.nationaldaycalendar.com/

No comments: