Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Annoying love songs

Regardless of my issues with the music K103 was playing, it was also very popular, so it was reasonable for them to play it. While I do have some thoughts on this being the fault of "the man" controlling airplay now, I have to admit that these popular songs are catchy. This only increased my frustration. I usually have music in my head of some kind, and when it is music I like it's fine. When it is stupid, shallow music with a poorly informed worldview, I feel like I’ve really let myself down.

I mentioned disdain for Taylor Swift and Sarah Bareilles; in addition I grew to really hate Michael Buble. I know at some point he was doing a lot of Frank Sinatra type-stuff, but I had never really heard any of his music. Now there were two songs that I was hearing all the time, and they both irritated me.

The first one, “Don't Go Higher”, just seemed hypocritical. So what are we saying? Is everyone in Hollywood phony except for you? Somehow I have doubts. Yes, the quest for fame can certainly kill your soul, and you can worry about that in the middle of still trying to make it, but it should probably come out sounding a little less danceable--maybe more like “Hotel California” perhaps?

Still, the one that bugged me even more was "Haven't Met You Yet". Yes, yes, everything will be perfect when you meet the "right" one, because that's totally how it works. The "You'll make me work so we can work to work it out" is paying lip service to the idea that relationships take work, but then why is she having to make you work? There is an echo of the same thing in the line about promising to give so much more than he gets. Even if he really believed that, that would indicate an unhealthy relationship where one person is constantly trying to compensate for their own unworthiness. How is that good?

The one that I was kind of torn on was “Break Even” by The Script. Musically it was interesting, but I had started getting cranky. Well if she’s able to leave you so easily, without losing any sleep, maybe you’re better off without her. And if the best part of you was always her, no wonder she left; she doesn’t need you. From a relationship point of view those criticisms are valid, but I also know that you do feel things that are illogical and unfair, and you catastrophize, and you can’t pick on every musical exaggeration.

I guess where The Script came off better is that the song felt like it carried some actual emotional weight, rather than just pretending to.

And again, this could be somewhere that I am completely unfair. Just because it sounds shallow and superficial to me does not mean everyone will feel that way. I’m bringing up these songs on Youtube—I see the comments. There are always comments on Britney songs or Miley songs “This is just how I feel!” Maybe I’m just mean (and romantically frustrated). Still, if we argue that any emotions are valid, that should cover my sentiment that this stuff is crap.

As we approached Valentine’s Day, I thought about how many awful songs were going to be featured, and I came up with my own list of romantic/love songs. I ran a 14-day countdown on Facebook, to be even better than my one week Halloween countdown.

Tomorrow, songs that actually make me feel.

No comments: