Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Lost in the Music


My opening anecdote for this one will only use initials. We have a friend who we believe is on the Aspergers-Autism spectrum. He is smart and high-functioning, but he does get lost in his thoughts pretty easily, and he is not good at picking up social queues, especially from girls flirting with him. We shall call him B.

When we were still getting to know him, we would hear things back from other girls about how mean he was or how stuck on himself he was, and it did not make sense at all, because we had found him really friendly and engaging. We happened to share some interests, and we started a conversation that was great, and we thought he was fine.

As we had more encounters and saw that you did need to work to get his attention, and observed girls trying to hit on him, and figured out whom the negative reports were coming from, it all started to make sense. Needy insecure girls would try very hard to get B to ask them out, or to compliment them, or something, they would fail miserably and decide he was a jerk.

This was not B’s fault. First of all, they were game-playing, which most guys do not do well with anyway. Honestly, it’s the guys who play the game exactly right that you should worry about. They don’t usually get that way by being great boyfriend material. So the girls were starting out wrong in the first place, and in the second place B had no idea that there was even a game on.

I do not think this means that he can never be successful romantically. What he will need is a woman who is confident in herself, not only in that she does not need a lot of building up, but that she is comfortable in asking for what she does need, clearly. Also, it would not hurt her to keep something shiny in her pocket, maybe be willing to jangle keys or something as the occasion warrants. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I was watching a video by a band I like (not My Chemical Romance in this case), and they were showing the drummer, and he was really focused and in the zone, I guess, and it flashed over me that if B was a drummer, that was exactly how he would play.

This is not in any way to imply that R (the drummer) is on the spectrum as well, but it started me paying more attention to how musicians play.

Not all of them get lost in their own little world. Sometimes it is a shared world between two guitarists. With the Goo Goo Dolls, Johnny Rzeznik and Robby Takac are very connected while playing. You totally buy them as best friends. 

There is room for different contexts as well. A musician in the middle of composing, versus practicing, versus performing, is going to be operating at different levels. Nonetheless, it is often easy to see that they are being transported by the music.

Even if it’s not as easy to do now, I used to watch music videos all the time, and they weren’t all elaborate shoots in Sri Lanka. Sometimes it was just a band playing on a dark set with leaves flying around or something. I enjoy these videos a lot too, though, because often you can see the pure joy that they get from the performing. And if you think about what goes into a regular film shoot, it’s amazing that they are looking joyful, because this could easily be take 30, and they keep getting stopped in the middle for touch-ups or camera adjustments, but there is still that love for what they do.

That’s why I can’t really be surprised when bands that used to play arenas play small towns like Lewiston, Idaho, or when a few weeks after your friend’s band breaks up, he’s formed a new one (or he’s in multiple bands at the same time). It’s in their blood and they can’t stop.

I know there are girlfriends who hate this, and girlfriends who appreciate the time off, and really, it can totally play havoc with the schedule. It’s love, though, and so I can’t help but approve. Maybe that’s part of why my experience with musicians has generally been that they are really kind people. They have something bigger than the individual that brings them together as groups, and then brings more people together for an audience. (And no matter how many times you disappoint them, they will never quit inviting you to their shows. They can’t.) I know there are obnoxious musicians, but it’s more something I’ve heard about than experienced.

By the same token, it’s gratifying that when I listen to interviews with the bands that I like they seem likable. Some of it could be image control, but maybe their personality comes through their music, and that’s where some of the chemistry comes from.

(It’s not foolproof. I have not really seen any Gin Blossoms interviews, but I worry that I might not want to be around them when they’re drinking, and I can’t shake this nagging feeling that John Waite is a jerk, or at least has been one. I hope I’m wrong.)

No comments: