Friday, November 02, 2012

A shift in the weather

I like to keep things a little lighter on Fridays, especially since I switched this blog to just Monday through Friday. And, there are a couple of things that I have been thinking about.
For one thing, people are getting pretty tired of politics. I get that. We are getting so many mailings and robocalls and seeing so many commercials, and that isn’t even for the presidential race. But there’s that, and the Facebook posts, and people are tired of it, and even though I am intensely interested in how this will turn out, and I think it’s really important, I do sympathize.
Fortunately, there is a remedy that is always timely, and that is to help someone. It makes you feel better. First of all, you are doing good in the world, and I believe there is a spiritual payoff to that. In addition, it should reinforce what you have (increasing gratitude), remind you that you are capable of accomplishing things (it is easy, and awful, to feel helpless), and can increase bonds with others. It’s good at any time, and there are a lot of people needing help now in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. I’m going to call out a few of the things that I have seen.
First of all, the obvious one is that you can text REDCROSS to 90999 and make a $10 donation to the Red Cross which will be added to your phone bill. If you have old phones and are technologically backwards, like me, you can also go to the www.redcross.org site and donate. In a good sign, it is currently undergoing maintenance due to high volume.
(If you are so technologically behind that you can’t use a web site, I’m pretty sure you don’t read the blog, but I guess the next step would be looking up the Red Cross in the Yellow Pages.)
Also, NBC is having a telethon tonight: http://www.nbc.com/hurricane-sandy-coming-together/
Donating dry goods locally is not particularly helpful in a case like this, though your local food bank would probably still be interested, but donating blood would be great. That supply is always running a little close anyway, and one thing Sandy did was cause many blood drives to be canceled. Even if there were not any new injuries, there would still be a need.
The other thing that I’m seeing is that various local (to New Jersey) artistic types are finding was to use their craft to attain donations. Here are two:
Restore the Shore is almost at goal already, which is amazing. I admit, I tend to prefer to just donate money, and not get stuff, but I understand wanting to contribute, and wanting to give a tangible, and I love the outpouring of generosity. I think we will see a lot more of these.
For another way to donate time and talents and skills (this time for techies):
This is providing a valuable service in a manner where I am completely useless, but many people are not.
Something I understand completely is the need to keep in touch, and bless the people who had power and put out extension cords and set up ad hoc charging stations. It is so valuable to be able to make and keep contact.
I saw an interesting question from the people at http://weareteamlondon.org/:
“Ok! We need your thoughts & help! This year our family has decided to forego Christmas presents & instead adopt a family. With all that has happened on the East Coast, we are looking for a family that could use a very Merry Christmas! We would prefer children & animals in our family & we would prefer NOT to go through another Org - we want 100% of our contribution to go directly to that family... ...we don't see a reason to have a "middle-man" that reaps profit off of this very heartfelt cause! Does anyone know a family that has truly lost EVERYTHING? We understand there are thousands that lost a LOT of things & half of their things, but some people lost it all... we would like to help! - Amanda, G, Beast & Jade!”
I don’t know a way to help with that one, but I bet there is someone who does. And based on the pictures, I am sure there are several who have really lost everything.
Find something good to do, and I promise you will feel better. And the election is almost over.

No comments: