Wednesday, February 06, 2013

The Year of Magical Concert-Going

Yes, this was not either of the previous two choices, but I have been so ecstatic about my concert-going lately that it’s just on the brain.
Now, if we hark back to Concert Scorecard, I have been having really good luck, and suddenly I have also bought tickets to The Gaslight Anthem, Mindless Self-Indulgence, and Fall Out Boy is coming, though the tickets are not on sale yet.
So, I was already feeling like rock was smiling on me, and then two things got me thinking. One is that my sisters asked me whom I had left. Technically that would be Jimmy Eat World, Maroon 5, and My Chemical Romance. Also, thinking about the Revenir show Sunday, I do feel bad that I won’t get to see it, but I decided mentally that it’s okay because they will be here in September.
This kind of got me into a train of thought that hey, maybe I can just make it happen. Therefore, if I am somehow the driving force behind the end of the Fall Out Boy hiatus, you’re welcome! (Actually, Mark Hoppus says it was his idea, and I believe him.)
Anyway, as lovely as it was to see The Fixx in August, I am going to say this lucky streak started October 28th with the All American Rejects. Then we have the Gin Blossoms on November 10th, The Killers on December 5th, and Keane on January 8th.
Concerts that are scheduled and which you better believe I will attend include The Gaslight Anthem in April, Mindless Self Indulgence in May, and Fall Out Boy in June. That seems to leave February bare, but actually I am going to see Toque Libre Friday night, so I’m calling it good.
In some ways it might be fair if my luck only continues through September, because otherwise that’s more than a year, and yet, I don’t see how My Chemical Romance could possibly get here before December, so I am going to call it as 2013 being the lucky year, and it just happened to start a few months early.
Revenir in September still feels good. That gives them time to get the record out, tour closer to home, and work their way out here. That leaves July, August, October, and November.
Jimmy Eat World should totally come in July. Their record is already finished, and we are much closer to home for them.
I don’t think Maroon 5 is plausible for this year, because they are already touring and already and they don’t have a Portland date. They are the one I am most ambiguous on, though, so it’s okay.
Now that we have covered the biggest priorities, who is good for those remaining three months?
Well, I would love to see Charlie Sexton again. He would be lovely in November. Should a spoken word show count? I have seen Henry Rollins before, but actually, I did have to leave early because of Maria. To be fair, he can talk for three hours straight, so it is not entirely her fault, but he can come in October.
That just leaves August. The funny thing is that we are taking a road trip to South Dakota, so maybe we should just go see someone in Sturgis. However, I have been thinking about a couple of bands here. Green Day and Blink 182 both have new stuff out. Green Day I have seen, and it was a great show. Blink I have avoided, sensing that perhaps they would be so immature that I would not be able to enjoy it. Years later, perhaps they would be more mature.
Or, if we take the healing to include not just missed shows, but also disappointing shows, a good Foo Fighters or Cheap Trick show would also be in order. I may need more than a year’s worth of luck.
Anyway, that’s how I say things are going to be, and my logic is clearly flawless.
Naw, I know there’s no logic, but it kind of doesn’t matter. Great things have happened, additional great things are scheduled, and I’m just happy. You can be happy for me too.

1 comment:

sporktastic said...

I realize I left out March. It would be nice to finally see one of Mike's bands.