Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Comics Review: Michael E. Russell Retrospective


I had written about my affection for Russell in July, as part of a larger piece about my love for the U of O comics scene, back in the day:
One of the great things about that piece is that I heard back from a few of the other artists, so I am going to put links for their work at the end as well.
I’m only going to reference Hudson Van Curren’s Infantile Machismo (1990 and 1991) and Panels: UO Cartooning 1991-92, because I doubt you could find them now. Also, I know a lot of their value for me is nostalgic. I enjoyed the strips that were collected in them, and I was grateful that they were collected and I could bring them with me. Everything else is actually something that you can purchase or find on the internet, so that’s where we’ll focus.
Santa’s Lil’ Gimp: A Book Not For Children, written by Gregory P. Dorr and Illustrated by Michael E. Russell
I haven’t seen Bad Santa, but I believe there are some similarities, including the story of a touching relationship between flawed characters. Although it says not for children, it doesn’t require the censoring that Bad Santa would – there is nothing overtly awful, though there are allusions to some things. However, the main non-childlike aspect of it is the cynical nature of the ending. It’s interesting anyway.
Cort and Fatboy in The Secret of the Buried Unicorns, all by Russell, except the cover is by Adrian Wallace, who drew Nathan the Pixie at U of O
This is probably more obviously not for children, though it is still nothing intense. My first thought on reading it was how Portland it was, especially with the cast of characters, and I wondered if anyone not from the area could enjoy it. However, there is enough in there about making a living in the arts (actually, not making a living from the arts), especially radio, that there could indeed be a wider audience.
Beware the Sabre-Toothed Vampire and Sabertooth Vampire Unleashed, all Russell
It’s hard to imagine many things more frustrating than being a saber-toothed vampire. Russell imagines the potential complications thoroughly, and it must be said, adorably, and lets us know that the sound of this frustration is “Hrng!”
Beware is Season One, and Unleashed is Season Two. I was going to say that Season Two seemed to feature longer, more complex gags, but I’m not sure that’s true. I will say that I really enjoy Renfield in this. Due to his master’s disadvantages, he seems much more empowered, and that’s nice for him.
Jaxxon’s 11, by Mike Russell and David Stroup
You cannot believe how fun this is. Sure, you probably think a send-up of Ocean’s 11 using characters from the expanded and regular Star Wars universe has some fun potential, but as you enter the world you find it is built on a foundation of vast knowledge and affection for all of Star Wars, and science fiction, and life.
When I say life, I say that because the friend who is married and a parent, and is now kind of into things he would have mocked before, is something we all relate to, and has nothing to do with George Lucas. However, if you thought it might be a Life Day reference, going back to the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, well, it does get referenced anyway. Russell and Stroup clearly have deep knowledge here. I am sure there are references that I am missing, but it was still so much fun, and clearly a labor of love.
Yeah, that probably looks like I finished the reviews, and am now linking to the artist information, but that is only partially true. I need to give kudos to CulturePulp.
It’s fun to read and it’s engaging, but also it has brought a lot of enrichment. That’s how I was introduced to The Breakfast of the Gods, and Stumptown Comic Fest, and many other things. I have read about picking mushrooms, and making ravioli, and learned more about Browncoats, Hellboy, and Guillermo del Toro. I miss the regular comic in the A & E, but it has still played it’s role, and there’s still stuff out there.
So, with that web site, you can link to a great deal of information, but I am going to give additional links, specifically for buying via Big Cartel, and for reading Jaxxon:
And now, I will close with some links for other people who appeared in Panels.
Adrian Wallace: http://jumbodeluxe.com/
My mind always puts Matt Bors back at U of O with us. There is no good reason for this. But since I can’t shake it, http://www.mattbors.com/

No comments: