Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Social construction (or the broader world of geekery)


In addition to the ad for ICAF, the Stumptown program had ads for other conventions that I had not been aware of. They were not comic book specific, but they fit into the "broader world of geekery", as described by Benjamin Woo, of Simon Fraser University, in his lecture as winner of the John Lent Award, "How to Think About Comics as Social Objects".
It was pretty interesting. His study centered around a large Canadian city that he would not name (but I was totally picturing Toronto), and via comic book shops and conventions and events, he was tracking the social relationships that were created in this world. (And "broader world of geekery" is in my notes, so that was his term, not mine, but it resonated with me. I don't think either of us are using it in a negative sense.)
There were a couple of things that were interesting about this. First of all, just the path of building relationships, and interconnectedness, but also I found it interesting that many of these people had dormant periods, and when they would talk about their trajectory of getting involved, they would use the passive voice, like it was something that happened to them, not something they did.
Probably the thing that got me thinking the most, though, was something that came up in a question, when one of the listeners got hung up on how that was not his experience, he could not find people to share it with in person, and all of his comic-related interaction was happening on the internet.
Woo made the reasonable point that this sort of research does deal in generalities, and will not cover every single case. I was thinking mean thoughts about how the guy was putting way too much of himself into the question (which he did more than once), and what was he talking about anyway because he was sitting there with people, in person! (Realistically, they were probably people he had met there.)
Anyway, it occurred to me that I don't really interact with anyone about comic books, and I wouldn't even have thought about that too much, except that I kept having these conversations about comic books there, and it was so nice!
I wasn't expecting that. I thought I would learn interesting things, and get a few signatures, but also, I occasionally talked to people. They were very nice, but beyond that there was this thing going on where one of us would start to say something, and I would see their face light up, or feel myself light up, because we knew what was coming before it was said, and we were on the same page. That felt so good. That happened with a Belgian graduate student and with someone from marketing at Dark Horse, and there were other conversations with others where maybe there wasn't the same level of synchronicity, but they were still so interesting.
That was great. It did sort of reveal a lack in my current life, but at the same time I was there listening to someone who studied the phenomenon, and wrote a paper on it. I don't necessarily have time to add a new social area to my life, but okay, there is the internet, there are conventions and comic books shops, and there are people out there who are interested in the same things, and are like-minded. It's worth remembering.
So, does this mean that whole social anxiety/insecurity thing cleared up? Yeah, right. No, there were really great conversations, and then periods of concern that I was being annoying, and then sitting alone nervously tapping my feet waiting for things to start, because once I am listening and taking notes, I have something to do and I am fine, but waiting alone is hard. My regular hangups are all still there, but in this venue there were moments where they were transcended, and it was delightful.
So, back to those other conventions. On the way home Saturday, there were a bunch of cosplayers on the train, and I realized it had to have been one of those. In fact, it was WonderCon.
It was a group of six teenagers, and the costumes seemed to be focused more on gaming. There was one boy and five girls, so for a boy gamer those are great odds. And no, they didn't really seem to be about that, but where the gaming world today can be so plagued by antisocial misogyny, this seemed encouraging for the future. More to the point, my strong thought watching them was let your kids be geeky. Be glad if they are.
The costumes were great, and so you know they have been sewing, woodworking, painting, and there are so many worse things they could be doing. There is this accomplishment, but there is innocence to it too, despite the weapons and fake blood. They were excited about their giant scythe, and the things they had seen and done, and it is so important to have things that are exciting, in adolescence and adulthood.
I am a fan of passion. Being passionate about things makes life and people more interesting.
There is a lot of passion in the broader world of geekery.

No comments: