Monday, June 20, 2016

Thoughts on Roots - Violence


Last week I finished watching the new Roots miniseries. I also finished the Jackie Robinson documentary I had been trying to get to since April, so the DVR and I are both feeling lighter.

There are a lot of thoughts all over the place, and I am going to try and get them sorted out here in a somewhat logical manner.

The first thing I want to say is that I read and loved the book, but I never watched the original mini-series. I'd thought about watching it at times, but it came on in 1977 when I was five years old. It was heavily promoted, and the image seared in my mind was the axe about to go down on Kunta Kinte's foot. That seemed so horrible to me.

I know, not that long ago I wrote that I wasn't squeamish. I'm not about medical things, and so far I have never seen anything that nauseates me, though some smells come close. However, I am really subject to sympathetic pain. For medical things, it is to help and steps are taken to control pain, so I've eaten dinner while a surgical show was on and it was no big deal. Hearing about pain - real or fictional - or seeing it does affect me. The horror of that anticipated pain of amputation stuck with me for years.

Being 39 years older didn't help with that. I'm sure they showed more, and they showed the continuing effect of the injury, and the overseer touching the injury to make him hurt, and I was totally aware.

One of the reviews I read was somewhat critical of the violence shown, not so much for its graphic nature, but that there was so much resistance shown by the slaves, and they considered that to be a side-effect of being in a post-Django Unchained society. I see the point, but I think that is also selling the creators short.

One difference between 1977 and 2016 is that Juffure was shown as much bigger in the newer one. That is more accurate. Alex Haley said that he did not think people would accept the sight of a large African city, but that is something we should be able to imagine now. (Can you imagine if they had shown Timbuktu?)

We should also be better able to handle stories of rebellion now. Amistad came out in 1997, so we know that rebellions could happen on a ship. We should then not be too surprised to find out that it happened more than once. We know that escaped slaves enlisted in the military, so we should be able to accept that. There were two deaths where it seemed like there would have been more fallout, but even then I can imagine how it would have worked out*. Generally, most of the things that happened seemed pretty plausible, including that there was much more violence inflicted by owners upon slaves than vice versa. (And sometimes not even by owners but just rollers on patrol, or anyone else who took a notion, because that's how it was.)

Gore was not generally dwelled upon. The Fort Pillow massacre could certainly have shown more, and yet it got the point across. They did use restraint.

In some ways, the most graphically disturbing scene was a duel between two land owners, Irish upstart Tom Lea and disgustingly arrogant on account of being born rich and not Irish William Byrd. While the set-up showed exactly how horrible the land-owners could be too each other, and how high the stakes for the slaves were, the duel itself showed exactly how ineffective and stupid and ugly that pride could be.

They wounded each other, and were in horrible pain, but would not stop until one was ready to essentially murder and the other decided he would rather yield than also be stabbed, though he would have felt no concern at turning murderer himself. It was disgusting, and that is exactly as it should have been.

The violence was merely one aspect of the show. I should have thoughts on some other aspects over the next two days.



*Spoilers: For me, that was when Kizzy killed one of her captors trying to escape, but she was worth $600 and he wasn't, and when George killed Frederick. Self-defense was not generally allowed, but they were leaving anyway; maybe they just left fast enough.

No comments: