Tuesday, November 29, 2022

As Rock & Roll saves me

Yes, this is a day earlier than I have been posting. I am trying a little change. 

While I talk about it more on the Sunday blog, I am a religious person. When I talk about "saving"... no, rock and roll is not saving me from death and sin. That is an important distinction. It still really helps me in an important way.

As I have been listening to many new musician and bands for various reasons for a few months now -- much of which I really like -- in this difficult life and world I periodically need to get back to the songs that are for me. They lift me up and revive me. For the most part they would be classified as rock pretty reliably, though one can always quibble about genres.

I need that music. A life without it would be much more miserable than is necessary.

I realize there are people who automatically find that rock is the devil's music, and I don't respect that opinion, even though the rock sometimes references the sex and the drugs.

I also know that my taste is my own, and there is room for disagreement. Without hating them, I am not a really big fan of the Beatles or Led Zeppelin, and I stand by that firmly.

Now if I haven't lost everyone by my unique combination of religiosity and musical tastes (I can only be me), here is a lesson.

I was recently listening to one of my favorite playlists, and being made so happy by it. It occurred to me that it is a shame that I am so bad at playing music. I can hear things in my head that I can never manage to get out, there is not a lot of aptitude even with practice, and (despite the occasional spirited karaoke delivery) I am not really a good singer.

Not only that, but in addition to finding a lot of music through media, I personally know a lot of amazing musicians. Some have a deep understanding of music theory and for some it is much more instinctive. Some have studied and some are self-taught. With all of their variety, I am not like them.

At times in the past I could see a value in appreciating them, because everyone likes to get appreciated and I am good at that, but I still wish I could do it.

This time, just as I found my lack of ability a pity, it came to me that it can be good to like things and want things that we are not good at. 

Maybe it's good for humility (there's a good religious quality), or for persistence or resignation or for perspective on a larger picture where no one has all gifts but everyone can contribute.

It's okay that I am who and how I am. 

And I am grateful for rock. It often emerges from messy lives, but have you seen my life? It fits.

Now, about that listening and new thing I am trying... I have a lot of book and music material that I have not posted. That mainly relates to the various reading months I do, with a good 136 books (some children's) and movies that I could write about, as well as at least two music posts I could easily do.

I am going to try working those in on Friday now. I am switching the type of  post that I have been doing from Wednesday to Tuesday to spread them out a little.  

I hope it won't be overextending myself, but I am at least going to try it.

I have this idea that as I read more and write about everything that I will be able to create excellent reading lists for various purposes and audiences, and I am not there yet. 

It is okay that I am not good at everything I care about.

I am nonetheless pretty good at reading. And listening to rock.

No comments: