Friday, December 02, 2022

Hispanic Heritage Month 2022 songs

Reminder that Fridays will now feature posts on books, movies and music, starting with music.

Most recently, I have posted about combining Black Music Month with Pride Month to focus on queer Black musicians in June, and then continuing my focus on individual years of the 80s.

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2022/07/black-music-month-pride-month.html

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2022/08/musical-interlude.html

During that time I was also doing Black Music Month reading (which I haven't actually finished yet) but it got me thinking about Motown, especially.

Hispanic Heritage Month runs from September 15th (the anniversary of the Grito de Dolores) through October 15th, and then Native American Heritage Month is in November. I was thinking that between the two, I would do Motown songs. Halloween would be "Supertition" by Stevie Wonder.  

It did not work out that way.

It's been a while since I have had time to do regular reviews, but I can still generally listen to the top ten for various artists and choose a song.

My listening for this month started with a list of musicians mentioned by Sandra Cisneros in A House of My Own. That gave me 18 artists, and I assumed I was looking to fill about 30 days. 

Well, I had also read this book, Aztlan and Viet Nam: Chicano and Chicana Experiences of the War. It had a poem in the book that was kind of humorously comparing Californian and Texan tastes, but that gave me another 5 bands. 

(Actually it gave me 6, because I wrote down the name of a reporter, Ruben Salazar, but when I was pulling up the list I forgot that he was a reporter, not a musician. There is a musician with that name, and why not give him a song?)

Then I remembered that I had taken down some band names from The First Rule of Punk by Celia C Perez also. I had reviewed some of those bands when I was still doing reviews. That gave me another 4 bands, plus I got this flautist because there was a Google Doodle, and why not?

But then I started thinking about the bands I had reviewed or used for songs at other times, because I had encountered them some other way. I wanted to bring them in.

That is why, musically, Hispanic Heritage Month extended all the way through to October 31st. Carlos Santana's "Black Magic Woman" is kind of spooky, right?

Besides, I made last October super Halloween-themed.

That's the amazing thing, and I have written this before, but whatever I dive deep into, there is always more available. So there are more Halloween songs, or more songs in a certain genre, or more songs honoring a heritage. 

Yes, I need to periodically go back to my rock (and some of these songs were rock, but not all), but I never tire of finding things I did not know.

Speaking of that, one of the books read (for Hispanic Heritage Month, not Black Music Month) was Decoding Despacito: An Oral History of Latin Music by Leila Cobo. There is a lot to listen to from that, but I need to go back to it later, after I have listened to other things. It pulls from a lot of genres I am unfamiliar with, and so I was not able to get as much out of it as was offered. 

As far as that goes, I could know more about all of these artists. Going through ten songs once and picking a song is nowhere near the understanding you get after going through the entire catalog three times.

There is always more, but in general I like it that way.

The star of the month ended up being former classmate Pablo Ojeda: showing up four times, as himself and as part of Toque Libre, Sabroso, and Rubberneck.

Daily songs:

9/15 “Oblivion” by Astor Piazolla
9/16 “Amor y Control” by Rubén Blades
9/17 “Bamboléo” by Gipsy Kings
9/18 “Gracias a la Vida” by Violeta Parra
9/19 “Altura” by Inti Illimani
9/20 “Maria Bonita” by Agustín Lara
9/21 “Sabor a Mi” by Trio Los Panchos con Eydie Gormé
9/22 “Ni por favor” by Pedro Infante
9/23 “Will the Wolf Survive?” by Los Lobos
9/24 “La Maza” by Mercedes Sosa
9/25 “Soy Rebelde” by Lydia Mendoza
9/26 “Rio Ancho” by Paco de Lucia
9/27 “Paloma Negra” by Lola Beltrán
9/28 “Ojalá” by Silvio Rodriguez
9/29 “Rie y Llora” by Celia Cruz
9/30 “No discutamos” by Lucha Villa
10/1 “Homeboy's Boogie” by Dr. Loco's Rockin' Jalapeño Band
10/2 “La Sal de la Tierra” by Juan Peña El Lebrijiano
10/3 “I Want To Be Loved” by The Royal Jesters
10/4 “Capaz de Todo” by Ruben Salazar
10/5 “Yo Ser Perder” by Snowball & Co
10/6 “Prenda Del Alma” by Los Alegres De Teran
10/7 “Las Nubes” by Little Joe y La Familia
10/8 “Soy Yo” by Bomba Estéreo
10/9 “Maybe Tonight” by Nestor Torres
10/10 “I'm Enough (I Want More) by Downtown Boys
10/11 “Volver, Volver” by Piñata Protest
10/12 “Risk It” by Alice Bag
10/13 “Blue Sofa” by The Plugz
10/14 “That Laid Back Feel” by Pablo Ojeda
10/15 "Será Porque Te Amo" by Los Tigrillos
10/16 “Necessity of Loving” by Luiz Santos
10/17 “Como Un Trueno” by Illegales
10/18 “Volver A Amar” by Jose Aguilar con Banda Sinaloense
10/19 “Nothing There” by Sabroso
10/20 “I Miss You” by Alturas
10/21 “Waterloo Sunset” by Jesse Valenzuela
10/22 “She Knows It” by The Zeros
10/23 “Color Esperanza 2020” by Various Artists
10/24 “Oubliette” by Aurelio Voltaire
10/25 “In Your Arms” by Toque Libre
10/26 “No Tengo Dinero” by Juan Gabriel
10/27 “Nunca, Nunca Más” by Asha
10/28 “Cover Me” by Rubberneck
10/29 “Come On, Let's Go” by Ritchie Valens
10/30 “Baa Baa Bamba” by Emilio Delgado, performing as Luis on Sesame Street
10/31 “Black Magic Woman” by Santana

No comments: