Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Black Music Month + Pride Month

I am reporting back on how the daily songs for June -- during which time I was celebrating Black queer musicians -- went.

I was worried about having enough artists to choose from. My initial brainstorm came up with fourteen, though it turns out that while Lil' Kim is an ally she is not herself queer. There is a reason I looked up every single person, just to make sure, even though I would normally find doing internet searches to find out whether people are gay pretty suspect.

I wanted to be able to feature Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender artists. I am not aware of any Black Intersex or Asexual artists, but at least one was non-binary, and I feel good about the overall representation.

With the help of a few articles, I ended up with 43 to choose from; I have not used every option (songs used appear at the end of the post), though I have listened to them all.

It is shallower than I would have liked, because -- like with the various Asian artists for May -- I only listened to their top ten songs, and only once. As frustrating as it is that I don't have more time for my pursuits, that I am still able to find and learn and manage something is affirming.

The other thing I did was link an article with each song. Some of the artists have historical significance, and I started with that, but then thought that if we are spotlighting and supporting, then I can probably find a link for everyone, and should. There were some really good articles.

My favorites at this point, at least for those who were new to me, are probably Lex Allen, Cakes da Killa, Victoria Monét, Todrick Hall, Joy Oladokun, and VINCINT.

The biggest concern (other than checking everyone's queerness) was that some of the songs used the N-word. Yes, that can be their choice, it can still feel weird for me, but this was so much a case where some people might be offended by the highlighting and support that I just went with it. There was no censorship. Some of those songs are about sex! 

But I am probably not going to use the song "Gay Sex" from Be Steadwell, because I like "Greens" better for her musically, though "Gay Sex" is more politically savvy.

On that note, I feel a little bad in that Lil Nas X has videos that are more overtly gay than the one I used, "Dead Right Now"; I really liked the song, though, and it also kind of fit my mood for the day. Realistically, once they are in my head, they can come back in at any time. 

(I will probably never use "Old Town Road" though, based on my general aversion to country. It's not personal.)

Other people that I could have used but did not came down to confusing information where I could not find a good article, only articles that were about a recent suicidal spell, and one person crossing a picket line. Those were things I worried about, but I had so many choices that it's okay. I can always use them at another time.

Something else I found interesting was that when you look at Queen Latifah's top ten songs, they are half numbers from musicals she has appeared in. That included "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray. I am fond of that song, but it is an ensemble peace, and its promise of forward progress rings a little hollow now. I used "Dance For Me" for June, but then "You Can't Stop the Beat" on July 1st, followed by Hozier's "Take Me to Church" on the 2nd. Hozier is not a queer Black artist, but his song is nevertheless accompanied by a powerful video and has become something of an anthem, apparently.

Through July 11th, I am using some Asian artists that I did not get to in May, plus some queer Black artists that I did not get to in June, and maybe some things related to reading and viewing. I have some Black music (though not specifically queer) reading and viewing slated for June also, but that will be happening mostly in July and August. Regardless, I would like to get in songs for Charlie Parker and Paris Is Burning.

Starting July 12th I am going back to picking ten songs from different years of the '80s, starting at 1985. That will be a bit of a break, because I am quite familiar with that content.

I like stretching and exploring, but the familiar has its charms.

Black Music Month and Pride Month

6/1 “Rock Me” by Sister Rosetta Tharpe
6/2 “Dead Right Now” by Lil Nas X
6/3 “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” by Sylvester
6/4 “Dance For Me” by Queen Latifah
6/5 “Baby Can I Hold You” by Tracy Chapman
6/6 “Thinkin Bout You” by Frank Ocean
6/7 “When I Get It Right” by Joan Armatrading
6/8 “Children” by Billy Porter
6/9 “Work It” by Missy Elliott
6/10 “Luvaroq” by serpentwithfeet
6/11 “Don Dada” by Cakes Da Killa x Proper Villains
6/12 “Sunday” by Joy Oladokun
6/13 “American Pie” by Shea Diamond
6/14 “Bye-Bye Blues” by Blackberri
6/15 “Great Gosh A'Mighty” by Little Richard
6/16 “Coastin'” by Victoria Monét
6/17 “Breath” by Todrick Hall
6/18 “spaces - Remix” by Dawn featuring Maliibu Mitch and Quay Dash
6/19 “Faithful” by Meshell Ndeogeocello
6/20 “Someday” by VINCINT
6/21 “You Go To My Head” by Billie Holiday
6/22 “Where You Are” by Rahsaan Patterson
6/23 “Where My Girls” by Dai Burger
6/24 “Stay High” by Brittany Howard
6/25 “American Dream Plan B” by Shirlette Ammons
6/26 “Key Changer” by Doug Pinnick
6/27 “Your Love” by Frankie Knuckles
6/28 “Black Queer Anthem” by Lazarus Lynch
6/29 “Explode” by Big Freedia
6/30 “Hope” by Arlo Parks

No comments: