Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Musical Interlude

I will return to society's collapse and fighting it soon, but sometimes one needs to lighten up.

For daily songs I had been doing ten songs per year for the '80s, running from 1980 through 1989, and paused from May 1st through July 11th, as discussed in two other posts.

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2022/06/messy-and-mattering-mays-daily-songs.html

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2022/07/black-music-month-pride-month.html

I just posted the last song from 1989 yesterday, but one thing I found with the songs from that year is I could really see the different trends that would be around in the 90s. There is more hip hop and dance, but also things that were heading toward alternative, and probably some things you could call neo-soul. I decided to do 1990 too. 

Often when I go over a daily song project I will list the songs by date at the end. In this case, that would be 120 songs, because 1984 was so notable for songs from soundtracks that I did ten songs from movies, and then ten not from movies.

I have listed more songs than that before, but I want to do something else instead.

Going over this, and getting some questions about our postponed 30 year class reunion, I started to think about a playlist that would encapsulate the class of 1990's time at Aloha High School. It was a three year school then, so going in the day after Labor Day, 1987, and coming out the second Sunday in June 1990, what were all of the number one songs for that time period?

I made that list. And then I didn't like it that much.

I mean, that's not surprising. I love a lot of songs that didn't really chart, and detest a few that did.

Amazingly, there is at least one song I have never heard, "Dirty Diana" by Michael Jackson. (There is a lot of Michael Jackson.) I have heard of the song, but having no memory of it I assumed it came earlier or later in time. No, it was right in the thick of things.

And Steve Winwood's "Roll With It" spent 4 weeks at number 1? Why?

I think it was a good musical time in general, though maybe not as good as 1984-1986, but yeah, not my favorites at number one.

I realize that questions of taste can become heated. If your musical taste is bad, it would be wrong of me to hold it against you.

So, for your own perusal, here are the Billboard Number One songs from September 7th, 1987 through June 10th, 1990

(I might make a playlist of the daily songs I chose from 1980 through 1990. Those were good.)

1987
“La Bamba” by Los Lobos
“I Just Can't Stop Loving You” by Michael Jackson
“Didn't We Almost Have It All” by Whitney Houston
“Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake
“Lost In Emotion” by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
“Bad” by Michael Jackson
“I Think We're Alone Now” by Tiffany
“Mony Mony (live)” by Billy Idol
“(I've Had)} The Time of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
“Heaven Is A Place On Earth” by Belinda Carlisle
“Faith” by George Michael

1988

(“Faith” by George Michael lasted into the new year)
”So Emotional” by Whitney Houston
“Got My Mind Set On You” by George Harrison
“The Way You Make Me Feel” by Michael Jackson
“Need You Tonight” by INXS
“Could've Been” by Tiffany
“Seasons Change” by Exposé
“Father Figure” by George Michael
“Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley
“Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson
“Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car” by Billy Ocean
“Where Do Broken Hearts Go” by Whitney Houston
“Wishing Well” by Terence Trent D'Arby
“Anything For You” by Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
“One More Try” by George Michael
“Together Forever” by Rick Astley
“Foolish Beat” by Debbie Gibson
“Dirty Diana” by Michael Jackson
“The Flame” by Cheap Trick
“Hold On To the Nights” by Richard Marx
“Roll With It” by Steve Winwood
“Monkey” by George Michael
“Sweet Child O' Mine” by Guns N' Roses
“Don't Worry, Be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin
“Love Bites” by Def Leppard
“Red Red Wine” by UB40
“A Groovy Kind of Love” by Phil Collins
“Kokomo” by The Beach Boys
“Wild, Wild West” by The Escape Club
“Bad Medicine” by Bon Jovi
“Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird Medley” by Will To Power
“Look Away” by Chicago
“Every Rose Has Its Thorn” by Poison

1989

(“Every Rose Has Its Thorn” by Poison lasted into the new year)
“My Prerogative” by Bobby Brown
“Two Hearts” by Phil Collins
“When I'm With You” by Sheriff
“Straight Up” by Paula Abdul
“Lost In Your Eyes” by Debbie Gibson
“The Living Years” by Mike + the Mechanics
“Eternal Flame” by The Bangles
“The Look” by Roxette
“She Drives Me Crazy” by Fine Young Cannibals
“Like A Prayer” by Madonna
“I'll Be There For You” by Bon Jovi
“Forever Your Girl” by Paula Abdul
“Rock On” by Michael Damian
“Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
“I'll Be Loving You (Forever)” by New Kids on the Block
“Satisfied” by Richard Marx
“Baby Don't Forget My Number” by Milli Vanilli
“Good Thing” by Fine Young Cannibals
“If You Don't Know Me By Now” by Simply Red
“Toy Soldiers” by Martika
“Batdance” by Prince
“Right Here Waiting” by Richard Marx
“Cold Hearted” by Paula Abdul
“Hangin' Tough” by New Kids on the Block
“Don't Wanna Lose You” by Gloria Estefan
“Girl I'm Gonna Miss You” by Milli Vanilli
“Miss You Much” by Janet Jackson
“Listen To Your Heart” by Roxette
“When I See You Smile” by Band English
“Blame It On The Rain” by Milli Vanilli
“We Didn't Start the Fire” by Billy Joel
“Another Day in Paradise” by Phil Collins

1990 (through June 10th)

(“Another Day in Paradise” by Phil Collins lasted into the new year)
“How Am I Supposed To Live Without You” by Michael Bolton
“Opposites Attract” by Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair
“Escapade” by Janet Jackson
“Black Velvet” by Alannah Myles
“Love Will Lead You Back” by Taylor Dayne
“I'll Be Your Everything” by Tommy Page
“Nothing Compares 2 U” by Sinéad O'Connor
“Vogue” by Madonna
“Hold On” by Wilson Phillips

("It Must Have Been Love” by Roxette was the next number one for us new high school graduates.)

No comments: