Tuesday, May 30, 2023

A different kind of break: 7 books to know me

In terms of topics that I am interested in, I am seeing so much ignorance and malfeasance that I am having a hard time stringing thoughts together. I can get a sentence here and there, but paragraphs may be asking too much.

To some extent, I do question the value of this blog, and what my audience is and if I am saying anything that is valuable to anyone that will read it. Previously, it felt like enough that I was getting my own thoughts straight, but I am questioning that now.

Maybe I am not getting my own thoughts straight.

Anyway, back on World Book Day (March 3rd) I responded to a thread for introducing yourself in seven books. I responded to that, but I have seen other, similar threads asking for seven movies or shows or albums.

(I have written about albums before, but it was ten: https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2020/05/ten-albums-that-influenced-me-and-how.html

Anyway, for the next few weeks, this is just going to be about getting to know me through pieces of media that are important to me.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol is my favorite book. Yes, I enjoy holidays, but I feel most passionately about its message of caring for others as what we most need to do.

And the Walls Came Tumbling Down by Ralph Abernathy
I loved Abernathy's voice, and I valued the perspective that came with his telling years later, and with all the grief that comes with reading about King, it was good to read someone who got to live and age, even if that came with disappointments. Also, reading it was so vivid for me that at night I dreamed about marching. That's how deeply it got to me.

A House of My Own by Sandra Cisneros
I was already very fond of Cisneros here, so the insight that came with this was precious, and it gives me other authors to read, but the biggest things was some of what she wrote about death.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I feel a little bad that this list does not have Jane Austen or L.M. Montgomery (and Anne Bronte is really good), but if we take all of those novels, this is probably my favorite of that set, and it was the first of them that I read, which probably plays a role.

Heidi by Johanna Spyri
This is my comfort reading. I read it when I was about Heidi's age, and sometimes just going back and reading about the mountain or the kittens or the goats is what I need. Similar feelings for Jane of Lantern Hill, though I found that much later. Cozy housekeeping I guess.

Dracula by Bram Stoker
Getting bitten was an early phobia of mine, so vampires came in bad dreams (then emotional vampires as I got older), but I get the appeal. Also, the way the book is written and the way the action moves... I love it. Wilkie Collins has a similar vibe.

Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway
I read so much more nonfiction now, but I am reading for information and may not fall in love the same way. This is beautifully written with a beautiful concept of balance and healing, and yet is also pretty practical. My favorite permaculture book.

I would also like to give an honorable mention to The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama.
This was read in a book club and it had been a while since I had read any fiction. It felt like a vacation. I do read a lot more non-fiction now, but sometimes it is just good to read a story.

No comments: