Friday, May 19, 2023

May Daily Songs: Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

I usually wait to post about the songs until after I have played them all, but I don't know that it's really necessary. It may very well feel weird enough that I never do it again, but I thought I'd at least try it.

Therefore, there are only dates by the songs already posted. There are 31 total, taking us through the end of May. I currently have no intentions of changing the order, though there is not any special pattern to the order. Well, I did start with James Iha because he is probably the most famous of these Asian-Americans, by which I mean United States residents of Asian descent.

That was one change this year. Previously I have not paid a lot of attention to country of origin. That means I did not use anyone based in Japan or Korea (last year I did) and I even left out those Asian-Canadians that I had really liked last year.

I also did not use any Pacific Islanders from islands that are not US, so no New Zealand bands.

There are a lot of ways of viewing how to organize these heritage months. They can all have merits in different ways, so it can be good to change it up from year to year.

But yes, it means I am sorting people based on race and country of origin.

Another thing I did differently this year was focusing on individuals rather than bands. That left open the possibility of using Smashing Pumpkins and Linkin Park. As it is, James Iha and Mike Shinoda both have a fair amount of solo work.

It also means I have a Jonas brother in here -- which makes me cringe a little -- but DNCE is not included for him; it's for JinJoo Lee.

There continue to be recurring favorites, but I think my favorite new discovery is Thao & The Get Down Stay Down. Having some previous familiarity, I am starting to really enjoy Kishi Bashi. 

I also wish I had known about Only Won's "12 Days of Dim Sum" for Non-White Christmas.

I don't know what I will do for December this year, but I enjoy seeing how things develop.

UPDATE: I am never doing this again. 

I did a check and noticed that I had "Dreaming Awake" by Low Leaf listed twice. That must have meant I counted wrong and needed another song! Who got left out? Okay, I will use that Mountain Brothers song. Problem solved? Nope.

I think the extra listing of Low Leaf was when I was rearranging some songs, but had not affected the number. I thought I had counted again and only gotten 30, so that adding an extra song was appropriate. Since I moved Mountain Brothers in to fill the Low Leaf duplicate, that means that the list goes into June, or that I am removing one. Listening to the remaining songs, I am taking out "Faded" by Zhu. I am okay with that, but I wish I had not posted until the month was over.

Minor, but still annoying.

Daily Songs:

5/1 “Beauty” by James Iha
5/2 “Rush” by Ravenna
5/3 “Are We There Yet” by DUMBFOUNDED
5/4 “Ordinary Pleasure” by Toro y Moi
5/5 “Tenderness” by Jay Som
5/6 “When We Swam” by Thao & The Get Down Stay Down
5/7 “Sutures” by The Slants
5/8 “Rest Before We Go To War” by Ogikubo Station
5/9 “Cake By The Ocean” by DNCE
5/10 “Carry On Phenomenon” by Kishi Bashi
5/11 “Ray” by Clones of the Queen
5/12 “Magic” by The Linda Lindas
5/13 “Hummingbird” by Run River North
5/14 “Kawika” by Jake Shimabukuro
5/15 “50 Thousand Deep” by Blue Scholars
5/16 “Ready” by MILCK
5/17 “Passionfruit” by Yaeji
5/18 “Dreaming Awake” by Low Leaf
5/19 “Always Need You” by Melissa Polinar
5/20“Galaxies: The Next Level” by Mountain Brothers
5/21 “Strings” by Asobi Seksu
5/22 “Shivers” by Katherine Ho
5/23 “Kitty Party” by Awaaz Do
5/24 “Nobody” by Mitski
5/25 “Boyish” by Japanese Breakfast
5/26 “A Thousand Cuts” by Ruby Ibarra
5/27 “Butterfly” by UMI
5/28 “Promises I Can't Keep” by Mike Shinoda
5/29 “Hard Glance” by Bodysync
5/30 “Turn This World Around” by Only Won & Larissa Lam
5/31 “No Turning Back” by CHOPS

No comments: