Sunday, May 27, 2012

10 year plan update: Fitness (complete a triathlon in 2022)

I am letting my coupon for fencing lesions expire. I am not proud of this, but it is not horrible either.

The main issue is that I am just so busy, and trying to imagine making time for lessons is unimaginable. I couldn’t even find time to call and see if all four classes needed to be completed by the expiration date, or just scheduled.

Also, I was hoping to be in better shape by the time I took them, which is not happening so far, and I was afraid that the staff and other students would look down on me. That would be actually more of a reason to do it than not, because part of seeking out new experiences and challenges is doing things that scare you.

The reason I feel comfortable with it is because there has been progress made, even if it is going slowly. After a month of doing what I am doing now, I was down an inch each on the bust and hips, and an inch and a half on the waist. That’s pretty good. The first area where I developed a 10 year plan was the triathlon, and that was just because going from where I was starting to triathlete was going to take a while, and I wasn’t sure how long but I wanted some leeway. This works.

The real key right now is the Debbie Sieber’s Slim in 6 Beach Body Workout. Yeah, that will take more than six weeks. Where it is helpful though is that I have been good about aerobic exercise often, but I never know what to do with resistance training, and this incorporates some resistance training. All it uses is bands or dumbbells, but it really makes a difference.

We did lose some ground over vacation and the week before vacation. Even though we were still being active, it’s just not the same. I understand now why actors who get super toned for some roles let it go—that takes constant work. I don’t need to be really buff, but while I am trying to lose, some extra muscle will help.

Also I am just trying to be more active. On a good day, in addition to Slim in 6, I will get off the train at Goose Hollow and walk to work (about a mile), walk for another twenty minutes at lunch, and then go up and down the stairs on my last break. Most days are not that good, but if I get at least two of the four done, it is pretty good. Also, we have been getting better about incorporating fruits and vegetables, but still struggling with the whole grains. There are some changes coming up that will make some things easier, and some things harder, but I’ll adapt.

For fun additional activities for this year, I have decided against the All Trails Challenge with Forest Park, because with not driving, it is too hard to get there. Also, the biking to work will not work, but biking should still come up. Skating lessons will actually be easier to work in, so I don’t know if it will still be July, but that is coming.

And I will still learn to fence. For now, though, the focus is the Beach Body workout and good old walking, including the health walk before the Rose Parade again.

No comments: