Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Responsible writing


Recently a friend linked to an article that generated some discussion. It was about why they should not make a Wonder Woman movie. Most people did not want to agree, but they found his points interesting. I commented as well, and I said that I knew it sounded silly, but he used too many adjectives.

That was my overriding thought, so that was what I needed to post, but that was not the end of it for me, because I could not stop thinking about that. Okay, I don't tend to throw out a lot of adjectives, but if that's someone else's writing style, is it fair for me to criticize it?

It wasn't just adjectives either; there were other issues with language usage. It was the adjectives that stood out because the problem was that there was a lot of language for not much content, and then I understood. I'm kind of rusty on my rhetorical terms, but this is what I call bombardment.

The writer did not have a strong argument. I'm sure he thought he was right, but probably in the actual writing it started to fall apart, and there was an attempt to fortify by puffing up. It may not have been conscious.


Really, how it came across is that you shouldn't have a Wonder Woman movie because there is nothing to her. She is merely the token female, made sexy for the male gaze (she dresses trampy!) with all those curves, but then they will have some 90 lb waif play her, and no one is going to connect to the Greek mythology background, so that would just be a waste of money that you could use to make art films.

Okay, she is the Smurfette/Ms. Pac-man of the Justice League, who will be the wrong body type, and even if Thor makes it look like mythological backgrounds can be a part of a successful movie adaptation, Greek mythology is totally out (cough Percy Jackson cough Clash of the Titans). Wonder Woman is not needed both because she does not challenge the patriarchy and because the patriarchy will not allow the movie to be made in the right way, so they should use the money to make more movies like Fruitvale Station - like they did with the Green Lantern budget!

He is right on one point; it is completely possible that the studios would make a stupid movie. This happens frequently, even with good source material, but that's a reason to re-examine Hollywood, not to turn down specific source material. Wonder Woman has had her ups and downs, but there is a good character there, and the possibility of a good movie. My post isn't really about Wonder Woman though.

I use bombardment pretty frequently. When someone is sounding particularly bad - maybe suicidal, maybe just down on themselves - then sometimes that is the tack I will take. I will throw out so many compliments that they can't refute every single one. Or I will mix it up, with something about my own experiences, and how it can go for them, and reminders of good things, and then some affirmation. I do this because they are upset teenagers, and thus generally quite skilled at contradicting everything, but if I can slip in enough good things that they forget to refute every single one, the one left can grow.

We are using similar tactics, but I am careful to say only things that are true. Most would see right through it if I didn't, but more than that, lies don't help in the long run, and I am trying to do something good.

Getting back to yesterday, I think music is vitally important, but music journalism probably is not. The one Vice article was dated March 30th. The Reggie Kickstarter ended April 19th, over goal, and now the album is available and the tour is happening. This post will probably have no impact on whether or not a Wonder Woman movie happens. So, why do I let this bother me?

Part of it is that these techniques are used for writing about everything, including politics. There is a distressing amount of ignorance out there, and it would not be possible if people were committed to honesty. They may be some news outlets that work actively to mislead, but now you have other news outlets who feel it is not necessary to point lies out. Maybe only Chuck Todd said it, but the attitude seems to be spreading:


I believe that having good information is important for making good decisions, and I don't think there should be so many obstacles to getting it. This is a problem. That post calls it out as laziness and indifference. Those are problems, and they are bigger problems than they look.

For example, it really felt like the subtext to the Wonder Woman post was "Don't make that movie because girls have cooties." There are people who are bad misogynists and chauvinists, but there are also people who have unrealized cases of it, and when we don't examine how this plays out, it is perpetuated. We make movies with male heroes because females will watch the male, but not vice versa, and that sounds like dealing with the existing condition, but it is also casting that condition in concrete, with all of the accompanying ramifications.

Honesty is also important on a personal level, and it is more than just not consciously telling lies, but being committed to truth, and to not being lazy or apathetic. I suppose when Holden Caulfield rails against phonies, he has something like that in mind, but once he has labeled everyone else a phony, how accurately does he see anything? How trenchant does his own self-examination become?

With blogging, it can tend more toward journalism or more toward a diary, but both of those are areas where they are tarnished if they are not honest. Even with fiction, writing should be honest; in this situation, this is how things would go. This rings emotionally true. Fables and satires make up stories but they do it to illustrate truths.

Yesterday I read a post about someone who was leaving New York because of the wizards. It was fantasy, but it made true, relatable points. A few weeks ago there was a piece about someone feeling hostile to liberals, that conservatives were calling brilliant, but it was just using a straw man argument (I do know the proper term for that one), so it was feel good for them, but dishonest.

I will acknowledge that these articles have been valuable to me. That process of feeling that there is something wrong about them, and chasing that down, comes with insight. There are already lots of opportunities for that. Perhaps writers should focus on putting really good material into the world, and then we can do our soul-searching over politics or the environment or our families. That's actually what frustrates me the most about the media now - there are so many important and real things that they could work up a lather over, and they could mobilize people to make a real difference. That is not what's happening.

For my examples, I don't care that they have different tastes or opinions. Taste in music and books and movies is highly subjective, but that does not absolve the reviewer of the responsibility of being fair, even to the stuff he hates. I disapprove of meanness in general, but in this context I don't really care all that much. If the desire to be nasty is the reason that the content is so sloppy, that might make it a little worse. And, I do care that they don't respect the readers or themselves enough to think critically and write cleanly and actually do something valuable with their writing.

I don't know much about this side of things, though, so I am going to try it out. I was concerned about this week's band reviews, because with the holidays they might get ignored. Also, there is something (musical but not a band) that I have been hating. So, I will write a negative review on Thursday, and see how that feels. That way, none of my regular bands get a bad date, probably not many people will see the bad review, and I will truly be serving up a Thanksgiving turkey. Wednesday, though, will be once more about music, and will once more mention Reggie.

No comments: