Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Holiday Gift Guide For Grieving My Chemical Romance Fans


Despite the passage of time since the breakup, the fans' grief remains palpable. If you have loved ones among the afflicted, you may find that asking what they want produces the same answer over and over again: "For MCR to get back together!" (Do not be surprised if they incorporate the MCR cover of "All I Want For Christmas", or sob, or both.)

While the band members are working on various projects, not all of these are easily accessible as gifts, and there may be some feelings of 'Oh, I get it; you want to make music, you want to be in the studio, just not together!' Again, it has all been very emotional, but their music still lives, and music itself still lives. I've compiled a list of five albums released this year that may be enjoyable for the bereaved.

I have written about each of these bands at least once, but this is in the context of being for My Chemical Romance fans. Most of them should be available via Amazon, iTunes, and normal outlets, but I will indicate if there is a specific source.

Burials by AFI

This is an excellent band. While their sound and themes are not strictly similar to MCR, they are not incompatible either. There is a skill and depth and emotion, and they have so much already recorded that if the recipient responds well, they can spend a lot of time going over the catalog.

Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 recently (November 15th)  tweeted "Greater Than 84 on the new AFI album is my super jam. Please repeat it into my brain over and over ad infinitum." My two favorites were "A Deep Slow Panic" and "Heart Stops", but I had felt like "Greater Than 84" and "17 Crimes" might be more integral to the album, so I don't know. Uncle Mark is very wise.


Gold Tattoos by Farewell, My Love

Farewell, My Love is newer than AFI, but they are similar in that while they don't really sound like MCR, they work well with them. The band often mentions MCR in the list of those whose fans might appreciate them. They also mention Black Veil Brides, Falling In Reverse, and Get Scared. I can't vouch for any of those, but as an MCR fan, I like Farewell, My Love a lot.

Because this is a relatively young band, you can get in on the ground floor. The band follows followers on Twitter, and checks their mentions. They are pretty responsive. It is totally possible to meet them, and they will tell you to believe in yourself and follow your dreams.

Gold Tattoos brings in my favorite songs from the previous EPs, seems to be bringing everything together under a theme about the contents of a mysterious chest, and gives us a chance to hear drummer Chad Kowal sing on "Paper Forts". All the members are likable and charismatic and good, but I feel like the gooey-centered heart of the band is Kowal, and that track is really special to me.


No Country For Old Musicians by Reggie and the Full Effect

Yes, James Dewees has done keyboards for My Chemical Romance for years, and that might be reason enough, but also, he does have participation of other band members here. And the key attraction for a grieving fan on this album is not that you will hear some righteous guitars, see that the song features Toro or Iero (or both!), and think, "Yeah, that's what I'm talking about." That does happen, but I think the most comforting thing is the speaking voice of Frank Iero.

I have mentioned before that I find Ray's voice very soothing, but Frank has this kind of Zen quality that I'm not sure I fully appreciated until this album. You hear him on "Robo Fonzie Meets Frank" and "We Make a Breakfast", and there is something so guileless and positive about him, even as he is being called a Guido. There may be a pang, but there will be enjoyment too, and there is a lot to cheer up a sad person on this one.

On a side note, does "Guido" only mean Italian back East? I thought it specifically meant the orange and trashy ones, like "chav", and I know Frank's not a chav. Anyway, I know there has been a lot of Reggie this past week, but I think that's everything out of my system now, until February. Probably.


Exiled from Bear Country by Revenir

On my initial review of No Country, I was careful not to dwell on the connections between Dewees and My Chemical Romance, because every project should be able to stand on its own merits. I have carefully done the same with Revenir, but this is the time to talk about it.

Revenir drummer Matt Pelissier is the original drummer from My Chemical Romance. That has brought some fans to him, and that's good because Revenir is a great band. They are so approachable and accessible and just there for their fans. It has also brought him some harassment and stupidity, and he does not like talking about it.

So, I will make a few points. One, moving forward, and concentrating on the current projects, is appropriate and healthy. Two, there is no reason to hold it against anyone. I've been looking at a lot of bands over the past couple of years, and lineup changes are pretty common. Since these often happen with young (immature) males in the heady world of rock, there are often hurt feelings. It's still not reason to hold it against anyone. (And I say that as someone who does hold a grudge against Pedicone for stealing.) There is room in my heart for both bands, and I know I am not the only one.

(A third point could be 'Don't be stupid to bands or band members, but that will probably be its own post someday.)

Anyway, my point is that Revenir is a great band, and you should buy their record. They do not have a label yet, so may not be available everywhere, but you can buy Bear Country through Bandcamp:



Save Rock and Roll by Fall Out Boy

It is fairly common for MCR fans to also be FOB fans, and this album has been out the longest, so the odds are high that the fan you are shopping for already has this one. However, I could not exclude it. These two bands are friendly with each other, and Fall Out Boy is the band that knows how to get back together after years and side projects and will be able to offer helpful advice on the subject. Therefore, Patrick Stump's voice is the voice of hope. Maybe some of us have known that all along.


Honorable mention goes to the All-American Rejects. They are also friendly with MCR, and compatible, but people don't seem to make the connection in quite the same way that they do with Fall Out Boy. So, while their most current album, Kids In The Street, is already over a year old, this might be another option.

http://sporkful.blogspot.com/2013/03/one-year-of-kids-in-street-1yeaarkits.html

Happy Holidays and, as always, support your local record store!

No comments: