Friday, April 04, 2014

Band Review: Alice Sweet Alice


Alice Sweet Alice is an alt-rock quartet from Kansas City, Missouri.

Like the majority of bands that I review, Alice Sweet Alice came to my attention when they followed me on Twitter. They did it during a time period when I was trying to figure out if the follows were related to my music reviews, or just as a potential fan, so I sent a few messages asking various bands why they started following me. Alice Sweet Alice followed me because they saw I followed Scarling., and so thought I might like them too.

(There are no indications that anyone is following me for the reviews.)

I do find that some of the older work does remind me of Scarling and noise pop, with overlays and non-traditional sounds. Their last two albums sound cleaner to me. However, when I was listening to 2011's Mandala it put me more in mind of Chantal Claret, specifically Claret's "You Can't Save Her". Claret and Scarling.'s Jessicka Addams are friends, so there is a fun connection there, but what I was really thinking of was that "You Can't Save Her" was used in an episode of "Lost Girl", and I can imagine some Alice Sweet Alice tracks being used similarly. I can imagine them conveying a mood subtly but effectively.

For their most recent album, 2013's Ribbons & Stone, there is a nice balance, with softer songs like "For the Moment" and more aggressive songs like "Must Be Evil".

There are times when there are echoes of other bands (most recently, they reminded me of Concrete Blonde), but overall they really have their own sound.

Music can be purchased through iTunes and Google Play, but you can also download a free sampler through the web site.






No comments: