Friday, September 04, 2015

Concert Review: The Hotelier






Yesterday's review was really positive, and that is going to continue - it was a great show all around. So remembering that I had a great time and enjoyed every single set, it needs to be understood that when I use the term "emo" it is not in any way an insult or criticism.

When I started listening to The Hotelier this week, my first thought was that they sounded really emo, and like a perfect match for The Get Up Kids.

Let me clarify that where I am in my listening now is around 1993 to 1994 - Braid, Texas is the Reason, Christie Front Drive - with strong emotional delivery and an almost acoustic feel. (And what a perfect time for The Get Up Kids to come, you might think, but I've been in this section for quite a while.)

That's where I was at listening to recorded The Hotelier. Some things reminded me a little of Green Day, and even a little bit of Oasis but not as much, and it was cool. I was looking forward to the show.

They were so much better in person.

That's not saying they were not good recorded, but they came in and all of the energy and passion in their playing was suddenly visible and seemed more audible.

Maybe it is seeing the hair flying. Of the two members who have long hair, their hair isn't really even that long, but in motion it was still magnificent. It all worked together, and it was a really good set. It gave me a better idea of what some shows must have been like when I read about how people still remember them, and also an idea of how some shows should have been.

So I came away really impressed.

They played a new song, indicating that there is new material forthcoming. I hope it does well. If nothing else, it looks like at least two of them need new pants. And that reminds me of some other bands too.






No comments: