Monday, June 07, 2021

APAHM Comics, but especially They Called Us Enemy

I could have easily done a post on comics last week. I did read some looking for Asian-American authors, though I got two Asian-Canadian and one Japanese author mixed in. There is one I am thinking about more, and it is going to lead somewhere.

I will still name the comics:

Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano

This One Summer by cousins Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki

Supernova (Amulet 8) by Kazu Kibuishi

They Called Us Enemy by George Takei with co-writers Justin Eisinger and Steven Scott and art by Harmony Becker

That is in reverse order from how I read them, because Takei's work is the one that has stuck with me most, over a year after reading it, and is the one that relates most to additional reading.

I am not going to spend a lot of time on the others. I do think that it is perfect that This One Summer, with its youth and secrets and summer vacation, was written by cousins. The futility in Nijigahara Holograph sticks with me as well, though it seems like there should be a way through. 

Of course, if you are not already, you can always become my friend on Goodreads:

Is the past even past?

No comments: