Friday, June 04, 2021

Review Retrospective: Not reviewed, but seen

As I get closer to completion, there has been this nagging feeling about some omissions.

Technically, if we are just going over reviews, then it is not an omission because I have never reviewed any of these bands. I have mentioned some of them, possibly often.

However, if we look at some of the other posts -- including the one on emo bands that I just wrapped up -- several of the posts have involved songs or bands that have not been reviewed but have been an influence. 

Most of these bands have been very important to me; it feels wrong to leave them out.

And I have seen them all in concert!

"Take On Me" by A-ha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

They were my second concert, because Charlie made it to Portland earlier, but they were the first band I truly loved. Technically, we have tickets to see them again. The show keeps getting delayed, but it's going to happen.

"In Deep" by Charlie Sexton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNHhB2_R4s

I still loved Charlie a great deal. The sounds are totally different, with A-ha so synth-centric and Sexton so focused on guitar, but they both work for me. 

I chose this song because this is one of the albums that I picked up when working at K-Mart, and I bought it solely because of his song. (Though the record is pretty decent overall, like most 80s soundtracks.)

"That Was Then, This Is Now" by The Monkees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7NuBTmQ7g

While they were not quite as emotionally important to me, I did watch the show. I was excited to get a chance to see them, then possibly a little disappointed at the weathering. Ultimately I am grateful that I went, and this is still a pretty good song.

“To Be A Lover” by Billy Idol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L9epO3tJT4

This was my fourth concert. I saw him when he was touring supporting Charmed Life, but this song is from Whiplash Smile. Charmed Life was when his legs were shattered and he wasn't working with Steve Stevens anymore, plus losing Perri Lister (because of his cheating)... it is not as fun an album, though it was still a fun concert.

This also means that I have never seen Steve Stevens live.

"Love And Affection" by Nelson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1W6-ErrHls

They went country after, and at least one got kind of douchey, but I still really like this album. Getting to this concert was significant because I had to find a ride up from Eugene and I was supposed to meet someone, but we still relied on pay phones at the time (the horror!). Ultimately, I did make it, but I also had an unused ticket. Still a good memory.

This was my fifth concert if we don't count the one where I lost my tickets, was frustrated, and snuck backstage, but couldn't hear anything and didn't see anyone except some dancers. The wouldn't count, right? 

Somewhere between that first five concerts and starting to write reviews, I did start making it to concerts more often. I stopped counting by this point, but there are still two that are not reviewed but very important.

"Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20

Especially Neil, but both Finn brothers have meant a lot to my musical tastes. I loved Split Enz early, even watching their televised concert that was aired on Nickelodeon a few times. Then, they broke up, but here came Crowded House (which Tim did join, but later, and I associate them more with Neil). I have seen Crowded House (after Paul's death, but with Nick back), and I have seen Finn Brothers, but not in that order. I just don't know that they could do anything that I wouldn't like. 

So it really never is over.

"Basket Case" by Green Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY

Somewhere in a story that I have thought out but not written, there is a girl who gets struck by this song like a bolt of lightning.

I have only seen them once, and I still wish I'd understood better what was going on with the puppets. I know the review in the paper criticized it for being just like their last show. Maybe, but it was new to me. I didn't hear the audience complaining. 

So many music reviewers suck, especially in how they can't comprehend any taste that varies from their own, but I was mean that night too.

On the train heading home we were talking about the concert. This woman (whom I thought of as old, but I am probably now her age) cut in to talk about her love of Andre Rieu, whom I guess she also thought was cool because he had long hair. I listened less and less patiently as she kept going on. She was not taking in this conversation, only giving. When she got to Bob Dylan I think I said something about how horrible a singer he was. I don't like him, so there are a lot of things I could have said.

She countered "But he was the voice of a generation!"

"Not mine."

And that successfully ended the conversation. 

I would totally do that again. 

I would probably not sneak backstage again. However, wandering around, talking to stage crew and arena staff -- and for the first two, bus drivers -- yes, always and forever.

No comments: