Saturday, September 04, 2010

A few words on the new job

Today was the last day of our two-week training period, so it seems like a good time to fill in some details.

I am working for Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield, which provides health insurance in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Utah. As new groups set up plans for their members, there are many steps, but my particular area is checking for accuracy before the booklets, summaries, et al are published. Some of it is making sure that we have the correct information for the group, both for mailing purposes and display in the documents, as well as that we have accurately reflected their choices in what they offer to their members.

There is also checking for compliance with state laws on the maximum dependent age, provisions for domestic partners, and things like that. Clearly attention to detail is important, as well as an understanding that this information is important both in how it affects those receiving healthcare and for legal compliance. It is pretty routine, but I do well with that.

I recently had to take training on Privacy and Ethics, and I will say that Intel has trained me well for that. The only real difference is the addition of HIPAA, which I have some familiarity with as a patient.

I am working downtown. In the morning I ride in with my older sister. She does not start until 9, but taking me in makes her count as a carpool, which significantly reduces her parking fee, so it looks like she is going to go with it. I then take the bus home. I have not got my sleep schedule worked out yet, but I will adapt.

They have some pretty good benefits, even beyond health, so I think things will be good. It is a relief to be working at something sustainable after all this time.


23 minutes walking outside
Wall sits
Mark 15 – Luke 5

1 comment:

Christy Wheeler said...

that sounds great. Congrats on the job