Thursday, October 17, 2013

Band Review: Yves Jean


Yves Jean self-identifies as a mixture of alternative, pop rock, electronic, and world beat. I see that, but I was attracted by the strong island vibe that I heard, probably a result of Yves Jean's Haitian roots. (Yves Jean is the name of the band, and the lead singer, who is accompanied by Brandon Pryor on drums and Zach Braden on guitar.)
Sometimes the disparate elements combining seems a little overpowering to getting a clean sound. "The Sun" sounds messy to me. "Last Forever" is probably the most focused song, and it also works better because of that. "Oceans Apart" is a little uneven, but the chorus is uplifting and contagious, and makes that song my favorite.
One thing that I found interesting is the combination of optimism and pessimism that comes through in the songs. "We are oceans apart" but "there's got to be a way." "Good things we know will always end" but "you can make this last a little longer". No matter how logical giving up would be, they can't let hope go.
Currently music is available on iTunes, but he is recording a new EP, scheduled for release in 2014.
http://www.youtube.com/yvesjeanmusic

No comments: