Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Halloween 2013


The lesson learned last year was that if I want to go really crazy with Halloween decorations, I need to plan pretty far in advance. I knew that, and found that I was not drawn that way this year.
Part of this may be that I will not be home on Halloween night. I am going to a concert: AFI at Roseland, with Touche Amore opening. I may see some trick-or-treaters, because I will still work a normal day, and have dinner with my family (I am planning on making mummy-style wiener wraps) but I imagine most of them will come after I have already left for the show.
I will still be responsible for some coolness there. When I was writing up the International Comic Arts Forum, I was thinking about how I want comics enjoyment to spread, and considered that maybe Halloween giveaways would be an answer. Well, shortly after posting that, Things From Another World sent out an e-mail about mini-comics bundles for Halloween. I ordered one bundle each of My Lil Pony, Itty Bitty Hellboy, and Adventure Time.
Because of this, I have four large pumpkins, and they will be carved into Finn, Jake, Hellboy, and, well, if I only do the head, I'm not sure that you will be able to tell which pony it is, since the hindquarters seem to be the most significant aspect in differentiation. Color matters too, but this one is going to be orange. The internet suggests Ocean Dreamer and Seascape for that. I have not previously strongly associated the color orange with maritime themes. Clearly I am not a Pegasister.
Also, we got a new skeletal flamingo for the yard!
So, there is some decoration, but not overly elaborate, and there is, as there always must be, pumpkin carving. Also, I want to try and make Halloween truffles, because it occurred to me that if I take the usual recipe, but roll them in orange sugar crystals instead of chocolate sprinkles, that could be cool. And, if there is a costume, it will merely be trying to fit in to the concert crowd better than my usual look, probably meaning wearing more black.
If there isn't the need to be really creative with lots of decor and costuming and crafts (I will still not get that bowl finished this year either), I think it's because I am getting a lot of creativity out. I really hit a bad spell and relapsed on some things, so I am not at the productivity level that I want to be, but I am still writing more and drawing more, which I needed, and it feels good. When I want to do stuff, I want to do more of that.
Right now I am going through old screenplays and getting every single one up on Amazon. There will be more about that. I want to get them done pretty quickly. Remember, last time I finished a big project and went to a concert around Halloween, I had the dream that started my next screenplay and book. So, I want to clear the slate, and be ready.
There are two carryovers from last year. I do have a Twitter costume. I am currently being Gorgon Harris. I put up Sulky Grebe, and then it just wasn't scary enough.
The other is that I will be posting more Halloween songs. I decided that I wanted to do a Misfits week though, so that starts tomorrow, and I will post the songs on Twitter and Facebook. I'm sure there will be a follow-up post.

No comments: