Wednesday, April 01, 2015

House/Body exercise


Another crazy day, but Family Ghosts is publishing. I was hoping it would be done now, but it has not been the full possible twelve hours yet.

I keep thinking about whether I should take a hiatus from the blogging, but it still feels necessary for now. So here I go.

The other exercise that came from my mind started as a completely different thing. I had done a series on earthquake preparedness, and wanted to do a home audit of things we needed to fix.

That idea grew into an idea of a full home audit for things needing repair and improvement. Initially I had been thinking of big things, like bolting the house to the foundation, and small things, like switching to closed loop picture hangers. What I realized was that beyond earthquakes, there would be similar combinations. Some things could be done quickly by me, or fairly inexpensively by a professional, but the idea of the assessment was to know.

I don't remember exactly when the idea came to go over my body too, but I live in this body, like I live in my house, and it would be paying attention to my environment.

I thought I would be looking for specific areas to improve. Since most sources claim that targeting specific areas does not work, I was not sure there would be a point, but it felt like the thing to do.

I have already repaired one minor home thing. I have also shared the list with my sisters so that we can establish some consensus and buy in.

They have only seen the home list, but that part had been a good experience.

The body audit was more interesting.

I can see lots of flaws all over my body, for most of which the only potential way of improvement is a general focus on improved diet and more activity. I also found good things.

I ended up seeing that there are some body parts that function well. They have strength.

My worst spot, other than my stomach (really the abdomen if we are getting specific) is my right leg. That's where the infection and fever left it scarred. The skin is rough and discolored, and there is a bulge.

I was able to feel compassion on that area. It's not the leg's fault I got sick. Despite its appearance, it functions well. I can walk for a long time. I hadn't thought about it for ages, but I remembered how much my leg hurt then, and it hurt for a long time. I am grateful that is done. It is also a reminder of what can happen, and that I need to take good care of my immune system and blood sugars.

I have known what is wrong with my body for a long time - that's why I disconnected. There is also a lot that is right with my body, and it was important to take time to remember that.

No comments: