Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Ableist language


I'm guessing some readers may not be familiar with the term. It's relatively new to me as well. That's okay, we have a definition from copyediting.com:

"Ableist language is any word or phrase that devalues people who have physical or mental disabilities. Its appearance often stems not from any intentional desire to offend, but from our innate sense of what it means to be normal."

To give it a real application, using "lame" and "crazy" as insults is problematic, because there are people to whom those words have been applied in earnest, and it is dehumanizing to those people. Some readers may be frustrated with political correctness run amok. Let me tell you about my own process.

It started through Twitter, of course. As I would find new thinkers who were smart and knew about things that I didn't, I would follow them, and then see people that they were tweeting and quoting. Over the four years I have been on, as the people I follow have increased, they have opened the world up to me in new ways.

Because there are things that can be very new, it doesn't always register right away. I tend not to be overly reactionary now (in my early 20s was a different story), so when I saw the first reference to ableist language, I didn't have a negative reaction, but I remember it catching me off guard. I'd had no idea there was such a thing.

I did have some resistance. "Crazy" is used so flippantly and easily. Even if we only look at songs that I like that use the word, there's a lot. Did it really matter that much? I started to feel that it did.

One thing I thought about was how often some celebrity gets in trouble for getting angry and using "gay" or "fag" as an insult. It matters. It might not if we were at a point where people were fully accepted and safe regardless of sexuality, but we're not there.

We are certainly not at complete acceptance of disabilities. There is still mockery, aggression, dehumanization, and there is a very literal danger. Up to half of the people killed by US police are disabled. This can come from not recognizing deafness, or common spectrum behaviors, or a seizure, or simply not having a tolerance for someone who doesn't conform.

I also thought about talk of gun restrictions for the mentally ill. There are many different types of mental illness, so what does that even mean? (And I'm not getting into guns right now, but that will happen.)

There is not enough understanding of disabilities, but one in five Americans has a disability. That's a wide range. That includes people you know. Shouldn't we care about it?

I found myself reluctant to use the words. If something was a stupid idea, or illogical, or poorly-planned, any of those adjectives could be better than crazy. (I never used "lame" much.)

I hope I am more sensitive now, but another result is better communication. I am saying what I actually mean, instead of taking the common shortcuts. We feel like we understand each other with the shortcuts, and we do, but part of that understanding comes from ignoring a huge part of the human experience. That matters.

I have talked with people before about how so-called "political correctness" is really just not being a jerk, but there is another level to it too. Compassion and empathy are important, but beyond that, choosing how to speak is a decision to be informed. It is a decision to be smarter and to understand more.

We could use some of that.

Related links:


No comments: