Thursday, March 02, 2017

Band Review: J.Saunders


I have really hated listening to J.Saunders.

He apparently also goes by 2 Pistols, though I never saw an explanation of when to use which name.

I did think it was a bad sign when I saw that he linked to an Instagram profile instead of something where you could listen to music, but it is not completely unheard of. It was nonetheless easy enough to find a way to listen, with an EP available on Spotify.

The problem isn't really the music - nothing made me sit up and take notice, but nothing was terrible either. I just can't get into the lyrical content.

I know bragging and sex and use of the N-word are all traditional, but still there are artists who rise above it and have songs that are about something. Often they are musically better, and it elevates them. In this case there were a few songs I didn't care for and one I hated.

The hated one was "Fantasy", all about how he wants her to be dressed and ready for him and carry out his fantasy. Consideration of a partner's needs can be a reasonable part of a relationship, but I thought it came off as incredibly dehumanizing to the woman. Maybe it was her calling him "Daddy", or her baby voice - I only know that my reaction was disgust and hate.

I remain completely aware that not everyone will have the same reaction to him, but this is how I feel.



No comments: