Friday, June 02, 2017

Concert Review: Dan Andriano In The Emergency Room





Two things were very clear from Dan Andriano's set, and one is that Portland loves Dan Andriano.

The Doug Fir Lounge may be a small venue, but it was packed with people who knew his every song, recognizing each intro and knowing the words. They were there for him.

It was also hard to miss that he is intense.

The first I ever saw of him was the Alkaline Trio video for "Mercy Me". I believe it combines stop-frame animation techniques with video, giving kind of an uncanny valley feeling overall. In it, Andriano's hands move really fast. I thought it was just an effect of the video; now I am not so sure. Regardless, there is a vortex of energy within and surrounding Dan Andriano that is far clearer when watching him in person than either listening to him or seeing him in videos. I just want that noted.

While I feel comfortable saying there isn't anyone else like Dan Andriano, it did occur to me earlier that fans of Elvis Costello should check him out. I think they will be pleasantly surprised.




No comments: