Thursday, November 09, 2017

Band Review: Nataanii Means


I became aware of Nataanii Means through a Mic article by Tom Barnes:

https://mic.com/articles/116942/8-songs-by-native-american-rappers-that-deserve-to-be-heard#.iSvxnirpr

I already knew and reviewed two of the artists listed, Frank Waln and Litefoot, but the other six will all be covered this month, starting with Nataanii Means today. That makes this article slightly more influential (for my review choices) than Touré's Smithsonian article on the Blues, and it also means that this November is pretty heavy on rap (eight out of ten artists).

Means feels like a good starting point because of points of connection. Just listening to his 2 Worlds album, Frank Waln is featured on "Real Skins" and Nataanii's father Russell Means (previously appearing in books and movies that were part of Native American Heritage Month, but not previously in music) can be heard on "The Radical".

For the rap itself, Means reminds me most of what I was hearing in the early 90s, where the musical elements started sounding more serious, but before it was becoming lyrically nihilistic. That is appropriate for content that is serious and acknowledges hard situations, but that has not given up. "Genocide" is a good example of that. "Islands" might come pretty close to giving up, but it's a fine line.

(If my analysis of rap and its history seems off, I'm sorry. There are other genres that I know much better.)

I think Means' music can be great for driving along, but it would be a shame not to pay more attention.



No comments: