Thursday, September 05, 2013

Band Review: Rattlesnake Gunfight


Back when I reviewed Crow Black Sky, I noticed that they were in some ways not typical of black metal, and wondered how much of that was an effect of them being South African instead of Scandinavian.
By the same token, on Rattlesnake Gunfight's Facebook page, the genre is listed as country. Now, I had already noticed that they did sound kind of country, but they are not all the way country. There are touches in the background like what a fiddler would do, though I think it is all guitars, so there is some of that feeling for sure, and yet it does not annoy me, as country almost always does. Perhaps this is because they are Australian.
At times there is more of an Irish pub feel, cheery and unpretentious. I noticed it first in "Jaked On Green Beers", and thought perhaps that made sense because it could all be a St. Patrick's Day reference, but it is an Alkaline Trio song, and the original has a different feel. Rattlesnake Gunfight puts their own spin on it, and it's a good one. They work similar magic on The Replacements' "Color Me Impressed", though they add an optional "u" to "color".
Although the band is working on original material, most of what is currently recorded is covers. However, they are clearly making the songs their own, and a lot of it is live. That generally does not result in sound quality issues. "High Up Above" sounds a little messy, but that could be a reflection of the original song. (I say this from listening via Spotify, but music appears to be available via Bandcamp, Amazon, and iTunes.)
I think we have to consider them to be a band still in development, but worth keeping an eye on. I'm sure they would be good live.
Navigation on the web site is not perfectly intuitive, but it has more information than Facebook. I am including two Twitter accounts: the main one for the band, and one for the singer, Matty, who is actually the one who followed me.

No comments: