Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Death in general


I recently finished a book by Graeme Thomson: I Shot A Man In Reno: A History of Death By Murder, Suicide, Fire, Flood, Drugs, Disease And General Misadventures, As Related In Popular Song.
I reviewed the book pretty thoroughly on Goodreads, which you can see here:
A book you don't really like can still be good food for thought. In fact, if the issue with the book is that it provides unsatisfying answers to valid questions, that can be excellent food for thought as you try and make up for the book's shortcomings.
Tomorrow I am going to get into the musical questions, but I feel like first we need to address death itself.
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, so that's where my religious beliefs come from. One thing about that is that we believe in prophets and we believe in personal revelation. So, it's not just that I believe what someone has said, but I feel that it is true, and there have been experiences and other feelings that reinforce it.
We believe that when we die, our body separates from our spirit, and we refer to where the spirit is as the Spirit World. We believe that you are pretty much the same person there that you are here. So, if you tended to be sad, or angry, or resentful, you still have that to deal with. However, we also believe that the Spirit World is a place where you continue to learn and grow, and I believe that the help of others who are already there, and the increased perspective, may make some things easier.
Other things would be harder. If part of your bad feelings came from a relationship with one person, and you got to the point where you wanted to resolve it, and talk to them, but you couldn't, that would be hard. It is better to resolve things in life.
Obviously, there is more that goes on there, but my intent wasn't to get into theology so much (which I believe works better in personal discussions) as just to point out that this is a hopeful belief. I believe that God is good, and He loves us, and that this is ultimately a good plan. So I am sad for someone who dies in a bad state of mind, but I don't give up on them, because I know there is more.
I say "know", but it is faith and not knowledge. I have my own reasons and experiences that lead to my belief, but true knowledge won't happen until I die. I am okay with this, because living according to my faith makes me happy now. Religion that only encourages you to suck it up now for a reward later is insufficient.
Songs about death are really for the living, whether it is to deal with one's own mortality or the loss of another. Life also is for the living. It has to be meaningful on its own. That's not to take anything away from the afterlife. I will be so grateful to see some people again. I am glad that who I am will not disappear, but I am also glad that it will change. This progression we have with birth and aging and death has some beauty to it.
I am currently reading about music theory, and one of the names that came up was Boethius. He was in there because of his study of music theory and his transcriptions of folk music of the time. (Boethius lived from 480-524 AD.) He did other things, though, and one of those was writing The Consolation of Philosophy.
This is philosophy, not religion. His thinking is coming from observing and pondering life, and his conclusion is that the greatest joys in life come from treating other people decently and learning as much about the world as possible. He wrote this while he was in prison, and he was eventually executed, so he faced with the loss of freedom and the loss of life, but still found consolation in learning and in treating others well.
That makes a great life, but it makes a great death too, because you go into the next life with relationships and with knowledge, and having had the practice of actively seeking joy in those ways. That's someone who had a good life, and death will not negate that.

No comments: