Thursday, October 01, 2015

Band Review: Against All Hope


I believe I am reviewing a Metalcore band from Fredericksburg, Virginia that has relocated to Everett, Washington, but it has been a confusing path.

It started with being followed by a band that seemed to be named With Separation. That the Twitter handle was @UTLfxbgband, which does not correlate to With Separation in any way that I can see, was unusual, but the link gong to a page for a band called Against All Hope was even odder. I can see that the Twitter handle @againstallhope is taken (by a Deathcore band in the Canary Islands) so that could be a factor.

That did make me a little nervous about reviewing - like, if I go where this link takes me, am I overlooking a band actually named With Separation? That was not my only concern, though, because there was also only one song. I punted, bumping them down to the bottom of the spreadsheet, and now they are up at the top again, so I am just going for it.

There is one song, available through Bandcamp. It is called "Ecclesiastes". It is not bad. I am not a huge fan of 'core in general, but there is good energy with the guitars. They add a more melodic vocal counterpoint in the chorus that provides some conflict with the shouting and creates a sense of struggle. Coming in at a little under six minutes, it breaks with its punk roots to nod at the metal ancestry as well.

That is all that I know to say.

https://www.facebook.com/Against-All-Hope-586920731382260/timeline/

http://againstallhopeofficial.bandcamp.com/releases

https://twitter.com/UTLfxbgband

No comments: