Friday, October 16, 2015

Band Review: The Paul & John


The Paul & John is a San Francisco rock duo. That statement is essentially accurate, but it ignores the previous work of both Paul Myers and John Moremen, both of whom have been making music for at least two decades.

I first became aware of Myers as a writer so I'm not very familiar with that history. However, it would not be surprising for two experienced musicians (including one who has done music journalism and commentary) to draw from a variety influences and produce an album with depth and maturity. That is what we have with Inner Sunset.

I suspect something can be made of comparing "Inner Sunrise" with "Inner Sunset" and "Inner Sundown", but I have not cracked it. After listening several times, it's not so much that I have noticed a strong theme, but there is an overall feeling of life experience. Maybe it's bittersweet at times, but you keep going and it works out.

The sound is generally mellow at first, almost like folk, but there is funk there too, like the groove on "Inner Sunset". "Inner Sundown" is strongly reminiscent of Seals & Crofts' "Summer Breeze", but my strongest impression is that fans of The Byrds will like The Paul & John.

My personal favorite is probably "Long Way Back", which rocks, but "Everything Comes Together" has an almost psychedelic effect on me. Also, while "Hungry Little Monkey" is not my favorite, I can imagine that there are people for whom it will resonate deeply, and be exactly what they needed to hear, and hear that way.

The Paul & John are worth checking out.




No comments: