Thursday, October 29, 2015

Band Review: Requiem for the Dead


I don’t know what I’m doing this week.

With Halloween approaching, I wanted to see if I could review some bands that were a little more seasonally appropriate. I ended up choosing two bands with “Dead” in their name (but not with “Grateful).

I had Requiem for the Dead down as a band recommended by various members of Farewell, My Love, and I started listening to them this week. I really liked them. Their music was both energizing and emotional. This could be a band for Cure fans who want something livelier, or Psychedelic Furs fans who want something more rock, or people who won’t have any idea what those last two things mean but like good music.

Then, when I was looking for links to include with the review, it appeared that I was listening to the wrong band. The band that I had meant to check out seemed to be going by just Requiem, and had a much harsher sound.

Normally I would consider that to be serendipity; I had one found one band I liked by accident and could always check out the other one later. Then it looked like the band that I liked was done, with no new web activity since early 2014. I have reviewed bands post-breakup before, but if I like the band it’s disappointing.

Then there were other things that added to the confusion. There was a guitarist for Requiem for the Dead whose link went to a page not found, and their Facebook link from Reverb Nation was also broken. However, the Reverb Nation page also mentioned a new release coming that matched Requiem. Spotify has them as two separate bands with separate albums.

At this point I am assuming that the band did a major retooling and did not fully clean up the internet. This is not that unusual, but it can still be frustrating. Or perhaps I am just irritated because I liked them better the old way.

So this is what I can say. The 2013 Memories EP by Requiem for the Dead is really good, as are some of their other songs on Reverb Nation. If you listen to The Unexplainable Truth by Requiem, I can hear traces of the previous sound, but it is a lot more hard-core and less melodic. Something happened, but I don’t really know what.

Spooky.

And also that a lot of the links aren’t that informative, but I’m putting them up anyway.





No comments: