Friday, December 04, 2015

Band Review: Eye on Attraction


The first thing I saw about Eye on Attraction was that they listed Coheed and Cambria as an influence, which I didn't really hear. As that was expanded to include other bands, like Circa Survive and Rush, and an affiliation with progressive rock, then it made more sense. I can certainly see that on their 2012 album, The Factory.

That being said, I prefer their 2014 EP, Staircases. It is shorter, both in track length and number of tracks, and I feel like the brevity forced a focus that increased the power of the punch. Staircases really strikes the target.

That's not to discount The Factory, which does have good playing and an interesting scope. My favorite track there is probably "16 Queens", but the music is overall solid. It also feels like it wanders, whereas Staircases is more concise. It still seems fair to say that Eye on Attraction is growing in strength.

The Scranton, Pennsylvania quartet is taking some time off from their heavy playing schedule to work on a new EP, and I think that's good news.





https://twitter.com/eyeonattraction

No comments: