Friday, December 11, 2015

Band Review: Leona Lewis


Leona Lewis is a British pop and R&B singer who won the third season of The X Factor. I first learned of her while I was focusing on black women for the songs of the day.


I used "I Am" by Lewis, but I knew I wanted to listen more. Starting this week, the first thing I found was that I love "Bleeding Love" even more than "I Am". (And also that she has a pretty good Christmas album, which is nice this time of year.)

Known for her four-octave range, Lewis has a beautiful voice and can do a lot with it. The advantage to this is obvious. There is a downside as well, in that sometimes she does too much, possibly simply because she can. (Mariah Carey has the same problem.)

Some songs feel a little crowded, especially on the Hurt EP. However, even with the song I like least, "Fire Under My Feet", I know she is doing it well and accomplished what she was going for. (This song frequently draws comparisons to Adele, whom I also don't enjoy.)

There is a lot to enjoy here. I Am and Spirit are especially strong albums, and on Christmas, With Love not only is "One More Sleep" a song that I can listen to again and again, but "Your Hallelujah" is beautiful and haunting.

Lots to listen to here.




No comments: