Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The unmet goal


I wrote a Christmas song a few years ago.

I used to write songs all the time. Well, that's kind of overstating it. I would write lyrics and I would have a tune in my head for it, but I have never been about to write down the notes. Even when I was kind of picking things out on a keyboard, I could never get them to sound right. I have heard some people have writing partners for that, and others have said that it is a fairly easy thing to learn, but I still can't do it. Fortunately, I have a good memory for melody.

Anyway, when I was in junior high and high school I did this all the time, and then I slowed down. Every now and then something would come up that would inspire me, and there would be another one.

I don't really remember what inspired "Mistletoe Won't Matter". I can tell you that at first it was "Mistletoe Don't Matter" by the grammar was bugging me. "Won't" keeps the context with the added bonus of being grammatically correct.

Last year I really wanted to share it. My mother has heard me sing it once - which I know she does not remember - and some pets have heard me sing it, but that's it. I was thinking maybe I could record it and put it on Youtube and just get it captured somewhere, but I don't really have a way of doing that that.

Also last year I wrote more. With the month of 6-day scripts that I was writing, not only did I remember the Singing Zombie Nerds songs that I wrote in high school, but also I wrote the zombie lullaby for Bass-Off. Maybe it was a little weird to have so much zombie-themed content, but there are trends in music sometimes, just like everything else.

So last year when I really wanted to share "Mistletoe" with someone, and it was becoming clear that it wasn't going to happen, I thought maybe next year. Maybe I could do a week where the song of the day every day was something from me. They didn't need to be great recordings, but something. Still nothing.

That may be for the best; bad sound quality really bugs me. Still, I want this song to heard, and it's still not happening.

Maybe next year.

No comments: